Help Newbie Build Lightweight Rifle

Timberelk. .... I failed to mention the weights of the rifles I suggested. The Savage 16/116 light weight hunter is 5.65# and the Kimber hunter is listed at 5# 10 oz. Both have superb ratings and are very affordable vs a custom rifle. I have purchased from budsgunshop online and from ammoandarms online. The ammoandarms is the web name for Elk County Arm in St. Mary's Pa. I have found some of their prices to be extremely affordable compared to other dealers and they are great to work with. Their prices leave a lot of money on the table from your budget that would be useful towards a high end light weight scope. There are so many ways to go and whatever you decide just do it and enjoy . It's all good. Good luck.

I've looked at a safari sling, end result is not much different than a 3 point sling, just made for a hunting rifle. I'm gonna have to try out the kifaru gun bearer, looks slick as can be

Think I may do the same and actually just purchase a standard weight rifle because the bearer will take the extra pound or so in stride

dont think you will make the weight, but it will be interesting to see!
I'm actually about to build a rifle for myself along those very same lines! I'm wanting to stay under 6# scoped, loaded, slung, and ready to hunt with. It's going to be my all round, pack all day, for days on end whitetail rifle. I'm going with my all time favorite cartridge for whitetails-the 7mm08. I'm going to perform some careful diet surgery on an Browning A-Bolt action, either fairly light contour, or carbon fiber wrapped barrel, exhibition or exhibition+ grade of Claro walnut, and going to machine in a bedding block & glass it in the stock, and use either Contreol rings, or DNZ with their 1 piece ring/base, but 2 seperate 1s, and a 2.5x-8x-40mm, or a 2x-10x-40mm scope.

I actually just found a brand new savage 116 light weight hunter in 270 win stainless steel barrel for 499 at a big box store plus a $100 off rebate from savage brings the guns total price to about $420 brand new! I'm gojng to buy it because that a killer deal! May still put a B and C stock on it to making it closer to 6lbs to tame the 270 win recoil

Officially bought it! Now that I have order t I'll tell you guys where you can find this deal.... Cabelas! Online! On sale for $499 then minus savages rebate brings it to $399 for a brand new 116 Savage Light Weight hunter in stainless steel. The gun is normally $699

Last edited:
Officially bought it! Now that I have order t I'll tell you guys where you can find this deal.... Cabelas! Online! On sale for $499 then minus savages rebate brings it to $399 for a brand new 116 Savage LIght Wright hunter. The gun is normally $699
Congratulations and enjoy.

Officially bought it! Now that I have order t I'll tell you guys where you can find this deal.... Cabelas! Online! On sale for $499 then minus savages rebate brings it to $399 for a brand new 116 Savage Light Weight hunter in stainless steel. The gun is normally $699

Excellent choice! As I noted in #12 response, they are hard to beat. Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Cheers!

So.....

Called Cabela's and apparently I didn't get one of the ones on sale and they are no longer being made by Savage so my order got cancelled...

So my hunt continues for a lightweight rifle

Hey Timberelk, I had to buy the b14 hunter to get the weight of the stock! That's justification enough right?

The stock for the Bergara B14 hunter without bottom metal weighs 1 lb 13 oz.

I'm actually about to build a rifle for myself along those very same lines! I'm wanting to stay under 6# scoped, loaded, slung, and ready to hunt with. It's going to be my all round, pack all day, for days on end whitetail rifle. I'm going with my all time favorite cartridge for whitetails-the 7mm08. I'm going to perform some careful diet surgery on an Browning A-Bolt action, either fairly light contour, or carbon fiber wrapped barrel, exhibition or exhibition+ grade of Claro walnut, and going to machine in a bedding block & glass it in the stock, and use either Contreol rings, or DNZ with their 1 piece ring/base, but 2 seperate 1s, and a 2.5x-8x-40mm, or a 2x-10x-40mm scope.

Highly doubtful you can make that weight. I just built one last year with a ti action, bolt, firing pin, proof 22" barrel, lightweight carbon stock, tally rings, even had the recoil removed and replaced with Hastings light weight. Had action screws cut out of ti and spent many hours searching for lightweight scopes. Still over 6lbs scoped. You may get close but you will give up so much barrel length to save weight which is where most weight is. If you go with a very thin profile and have twisted flute the crap out of everything. I may build one even lighter but keep it for under 300 yards and pick a caliber that does not need a larger bore like a 6x25mm. Just a thought.

My Rem 700 308 ADL 19" barrel is 5lb 10oz with a 2.5-8 leupold on and a sling fitted, bare gun is 4lb 4oz approx, to get to that weight you have to do a fair bit of milling, drilling stock screws hollow etc etc. Nice to carry

My Rem 700 308 ADL 19" barrel is 5lb 10oz with a 2.5-8 leupold on and a sling fitted, bare gun is 4lb 4oz approx, to get to that weight you have to do a fair bit of milling, drilling stock screws hollow etc etc. Nice to carry

Yes and barrel lenght is key. But the shorter you go the less fps. I was wanting to go to 800 yards so I couldn't give up to much. I've been wanting to build a 300 yard and closer super light weight. I'm thinking 25 dti, pierce ti action and bolt. 16" tube, pencil thin barrel and having that sent to twisted for more fluting weight reduction. Then a smaller scope. It's a lot of money for something I won't use much but it's fun to tinker

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts