Not so long range, lightweight rifle build?

Bigeclipse

All,
looking to do a rifle build which will be light weight. Accuracy simply needs to be under 1MOA out to 400 yards. The biggest factor here is weight and money. Don't want to do a super expensive custom but the stock will likely have to be somewhat custom because length of pull will be 12.5-13inches. Thoughts? I was thinking doing something off a Remington 700 action because of the availability of stocks, although I do like savage builds due to switching barrels but there are several styles of savage actions and depending on which one you get limits which stocks you can buy. (I have two semi-custom savages right now). Cartridge will likely be 260, 7mm-08(already own a 7mm08 and like it!), or 280. I do reload so if there is some other cartridge I should look at let me know. Rifle will be used on deer with a small possibility of black bear. We don't go out looking for black bear but if one creeps by during deer season, we would shoot. Thanks.

You mention a custom build while keeping expenses to a minimum. Barrel weight is easily controlled by length and contour, but beyond that most good barrel makers run about the same. Cost of smithing seems to be about the same regardless where you go. In my experience, the single item that seems somewhat within your control is the stock. You can pick up a used Sendero HS stock for around $250, or simply go with a laminated wood stock. They are not as lightweight, but certainly less expensive than a Manners or McMillan. Glass is the only other area where you can really save, but you get what you pay for.

You mention a custom build while keeping expenses to a minimum. Barrel weight is easily controlled by length and contour, but beyond that most good barrel makers run about the same. Cost of smithing seems to be about the same regardless where you go. In my experience, the single item that seems somewhat within your control is the stock. You can pick up a used Sendero HS stock for around $250, or simply go with a laminated wood stock. They are not as lightweight, but certainly less expensive than a Manners or McMillan. Glass is the only other area where you can really save, but you get what you pay for.

im not worried about glass for this rifle since it will be a dedicated 400 yard or less rifle. Any scope with target turrets will do just fine (was contemplating a Vortex viper HS model in 40mm). As for the stocks you mention, those will be too heavy for the build so it sounds manners or McMillian is the only option to get me a lightweight stock? This will be a standard rifle montecarlo or similar type stock, not a stock with pistol style grip for shooting prone. Im trying to keep the rifle itself under 7lbs. I am even contemplating a pencil type barrel or at max #1 contour barrel to do it since again, long range is not in the equation.

Not sure what your overall budget is but I've been super interested in the Kimber Mountain Ascent since I read about it. The short actions are 4lbs+ and the long actions are only 5lbs+. That would be hard to beat.

If you get one, I'd love to hear how you like it.

For what you are describing a Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent would fill the bill nicely. They offer a sub-moa guarantee and are super light. I've had 3 of them, two were almost half-moa rifles, and one was a solid 1.5 moa gun... got rid of that one. That was also before they offered the accuracy guarantee. The Tikka T3 would also work. Pretty easy to have length of pull shortened.

azsugarbear covered everything else. One alternative stock idea would me a Manners MCS-SL. This is a carbon fiber stock. I have one on a custom .270 WSM. My rifle weight 8.25 lbs with Talley steel bases/rings and a NF 2.5-10x32. This rifle shoots half MOA, or better, when I'm doing my part.
There are other ultra-light stock options as well.

I'd go w/ 6.5cm on a B&C alaskan stock. I think they have them at stockys, (can't check, work blocks the site.)

ITs not gonna be easy to hit the target weight w/ a used stock. The ultralites don't show up often, esp w/ the LOP.

What is your budget like???

Last edited:
Remington Model Seven or Kimber Adirondack. A laminate stocked Model Seven could easily be shortened by a gunsmith.

For the scope I would look at the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36. It's under 12 oz and you can have Leupold install the low profile CDS turrets. The 3.5-10x40 isn't much heavier and comes with a CDS elevation turret. That and the wind plex reticle would get you to 500 no problem.

For the scope I would look at the Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36. It's under 12 oz and you can have Leupold install the low profile CDS turrets. The 3.5-10x40 isn't much heavier and comes with a CDS elevation turret. That and the wind plex reticle would get you to 500 no problem.

W/out the SF, is there gonna be down range parallax issues?

Another good rifle for you would be one of the Cooper Excalibur's. Their short action calibers weigh about 6.25 lbs, if I recall correctly. Half inch MOA guarantee. I've had 5 Coopers and they all made half inch rifles. I have a 22-250 that is closer to a .25 MOA rifle.

Remington Model Seven or Kimber Adirondack. A laminate stocked Model Seven could easily be shortened by a gunsmith.

X2

I just bought a Model Seven stainless in 7mm SAUM. For what you're wanting to do, I would do the Model Seven in 7-08.

Remington 700 short action stainless $400 at buds gun shop. #2 stainless barrel from any of several makers, 6.5mm 1-8 twist. Pt&G aluminum bottom metal. Chamber it in 6.5 Creedmoor at 22" with a half in shank. Mcmillan edge fill stock or B&C if you don't want to wait. Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 in talley lightweight mounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.