Lightweight long-range rifle weights?

DJ Fergus

I just got through putting together a lightweight long range rig. I built it from a Savage lightweight rifle. It ended up at 6lbs 11 ounces bare rifle. And aprx. 8lb 4 ounces scoped. I had a 16 ounce scope on it but i just wasn't satisfied with it since all my other rifles have 30mm tubes so I went with a 22 ounce vortex. Anyway just wondering what some of you other guys are averaging for weight on your scoped long range light carry rigs?
IMG_20190916_203327104.jpg
IMG_20190916_203503481.jpg
IMG_20190916_203612114.jpg

8lbs 13oz all in.
Axisworks built .280AI
R700 LA trued
Fluted bolt, carbon fiber knob, TI firing pin, Wolfe Blitzschnell spring, alloy bolt shroud
PT&G .250" recoil lug
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light w. Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1 pillar bedded
Rem factory alloy BDL bottom metal
Shilen Match trigger @ 1lb 6oz
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail
Seekins 30mm low rings
March F 3-24×52
Flatline Ops level

I just got through putting together a lightweight long range rig. I built it from a Savage lightweight rifle. It ended up at 6lbs 11 ounces bare rifle. And aprx. 8lb 4 ounces scoped. I had a 16 ounce scope on it but i just wasn't satisfied with it since all my other rifles have 30mm tubes so I went with a 22 ounce vortex. Anyway just wondering what some of you other guys are averaging for weight on your scoped long range light carry rigs?View attachment 149589 View attachment 149590 View attachment 149591

I have been wanting to do a savage build similar to yours. Really wanting to end up in that 8-8.5# range for a packable long range gun.

What are the specs of your rifle?

I just got through putting together a lightweight long range rig. I built it from a Savage lightweight rifle. It ended up at 6lbs 11 ounces bare rifle. And aprx. 8lb 4 ounces scoped. I had a 16 ounce scope on it but i just wasn't satisfied with it since all my other rifles have 30mm tubes so I went with a 22 ounce vortex. Anyway just wondering what some of you other guys are averaging for weight on your scoped long range light carry rigs?View attachment 149589 View attachment 149590 View attachment 149591
Is that original stock?

I have been wanting to do a savage build similar to yours. Really wanting to end up in that 8-8.5# range for a packable long range gun.

What are the specs of your rifle?
7mm rem mag
26" proof sendero contour 8.44 twist
Nemo arms titanium muzzle brake
Titanium bolt handle & carbon fiber knob
Titanium action screws
1lb pull weight factory accutrigger
Leupold rifleman bases
Vortex rings
Japanese L.O.W. Vortex Intrepid 4.5-22x50

7mm rem mag
26" proof sendero contour 8.44 twist
Nemo arms titanium muzzle brake
Titanium bolt handle & carbon fiber knob
Titanium action screws
1lb pull weight factory accutrigger
Leupold rifleman bases
Vortex rings
Japanese L.O.W. Vortex Intrepid 4.5-22x50
I could have went with Talleys and saved an ounce or so but I wanted to be able to change the scope out with more ease.

The rifle was like new when I purchased it. $335 invested in the rifle in stock form.
Purchased the scope for $412 new old stock from a member here in LRH.
Less than $1800 total invested in the whole rifle scoped.

I'm not the type of person to tell anyone what they can and can't do. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it's just my opinion. So take it for what it's worth.
A sub 6 lb "long range" hunting rifle is almost an oxymoron, and isn't exactly a recipe for consistent LR accuracy. If you want a sub 6 lb gun to shoot 500-600 yards (about all the farther I would recommend for that weight rifle), spend the money on quality optics and develop a consistent sub MOA load and learn how to shoot and read wind.
Any shooting over the 700ish yard mark and I'd aim for a rifle in the 7.25-8 lb base rifle weight. It's that much easier to shoot.

I
I'm not the type of person to tell anyone what they can and can't do. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it's just my opinion. So take it for what it's worth.
A sub 6 lb "long range" hunting rifle is almost an oxymoron, and isn't exactly a recipe for consistent LR accuracy. If you want a sub 6 lb gun to shoot 500-600 yards (about all the farther I would recommend for that weight rifle), spend the money on quality optics and develop a consistent sub MOA load and learn how to shoot and read wind.
Any shooting over the 700ish yard mark and I'd aim for a rifle in the 7.25-8 lb base rifle weight. It's that much easier to shoot.
Have a 14 lb 300 Norma brux bbl with a Cronus, 15 lb 7mm stw bartlein barrel, 13 lb 6.5 creedmoor x-caliber barrel, and factory 700 sendero 7mm rem mag. I'm planning on trying to achieve repeatability at 700 yards with this particular rig and if it only ends up being 500- 600 yards, that's not a problem. But, yes, I agree a heavier rig is easier to be consistent with.

Awesome build, i have a build that is very close to that but shorter.

Stainless Savage LWH Action
18" Carbon 6 Barrel in 6.5CM
Spectre Alluminium Brake (going to remove for hunting but its lighter than the thread cover lol)
Titanium Bolt hand/carbon fiber knob
Talley Lightweight rings
Leupold 4-14x50 VX3I 30MM Tube Side Focus
Factory Tupperware :/

Comes in at 7.2LBS scoped

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.