Lightweight Long Range Rifle

i think I get his point. With some exceptions, most people shoot low recoiling rounds better. There are only a handful of guys that shoot 300's and 338's without a muzzle brake for a reason. Maybe you don't have a brake on your edge, but my guess is you do. The noise from a braked rifle can cause more of a flinch than recoil. Therefore, premium powders and bullets available nowadays give people the option to be effective at long range with lesser calibers - that is just a fact. I think you shoot whatever you want. I have killed several elk with my sendero sfII 25-06 out to 650 yards with 115gr vlds. I have seen them drop out to 700 yards with 6mm creedmoors and 105gr bergers and 108 gr eldms - like their legs came out from under them DRT. Shrug...shoot whatever you want to, but the big guns aren't a must have anymore for elk. I dumped my 300 rum, 300wby and 325 wsm over the last year (none of them were braked, I took it like a man lol) in favor of a 270 wsm and 6.5 prc because I didnt see a difference in effectiveness out to 1000 yards. If you are shooting them past that, which several people on here are capable of, I can see the need for an edge or lapua, or cheytac or bmg.

That's kind of the point...you are sharing a different perspective than mine based on your experiences. That's all good. Where I take issue is when an opinion (with no evidenced experience) relies on bashing those of the opposing view. Do what is working for you and share your experience. I personally am not going to be shooting at elk at 700 yards with a 6mm...I love my 243AI, it's hotter than a 6CM, and I draw the line at 450 on antelope...based on my experience...people can weigh our anecdotes and make their own decisions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.