Lightweight long-range hunting scope

Gulo Gulo

Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to decide what scope to put on my 270wsm Finnlight. This rig will primarily be used for sheep hunting so weight is a concern. I have been looking at the Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 with CDS system. This scope only weighs in at 13oz. I have 2 questions about this scope. First, for long range hunting is 14x too much magnification to not have parallax adjustment? Second, since this scope has a very small field of view even at low power, would the 3.5-10x40 be a better choice? Is 10x enough for shots 500 – 600 yards (with a lot of practice)?

Either would work fine. My personal choice would be the 4-14. And I have shot a older tact. model w/ AO ON game out to 800 on my 340 WM. I now have that scope on a 325 WSM. I much prefer the 14 at range and I have had no problem snap shooting in timber.

i would opt for the 4-14 over the lower power scopes. I say that because sheep/goat hunting you generally have time to set up for the shots and the shots are normally farther than 100 yards. I dont know how lite they are, but I have been extremly impressed with the Vortex Viper PST. I have a 2.5-10x44 for yotes and plan on getting a higher magnifacation one for my .280 Rem (my backkpacker). I use a mark 4 leupy for my .338 RUM and for the quality it is pretty light.

The solution for me was a special order from the Leupold custom shop. I ordered a VX_III Long Range 6.5-20 with a M1 elevation dial and their TMR recticle. I got a 40mm objective and 30mm main tube to help with the field of view and side focus. ....cost just under $1k and arrived in just a couple weeks. It has all the functionality (except windage dial)of my Mark-4 Tatical models but is a heck of a lot lighter and more compact. The TMR reticle is great for windage holds and definately good to 600yds on my little .284 gun)

I built and ultra lite in 270 WSM and use a Leupold VXIII with target turrets and Mildot (TMR would be better). This is the best balance I found in a lite weight scope, the 14x will come in handy over the 10x and they DO have an adjustable objective. This is probably my favorite scope on the market for size/weight. Optics are bright lot of costum shop choices!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.