Long range hunting scope

dpark14

I'm looking for a long range hunting scope. Purchasing a new gun here soon and can't decide on scope. Will be mounted on a Christensen ridgeline 7mm rem mag. Main use will be hunting, will be a occasional target gun but nothing serious and probably not past 600 yards. Price range is $2000ish. Only requirement is must have a 3-4 power as minimum.

I'm looking for a long range hunting scope. Purchasing a new gun here soon and can't decide on scope. Will be mounted on a Christensen ridgeline 7mm rem mag. Main use will be hunting, will be a occasional target gun but nothing serious and probably not past 600 yards. Price range is $2000ish. Only requirement is must have a 3-4 power as minimum.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! You have a lot of excellent choices for your budget. To help narrow it down, are you looking for SFP or FFP?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! You have a lot of excellent choices for your budget. To help narrow it down, are you looking for SFP or FFP?

I was thinking SFP because it's going to be more of a hunting gun but not 100% locked in on that yet. A couple scopes I was looking at and some are over my price range...but they're the nightforce ATACR, leupold VX5 and 6, Vortex razor. Just some of the ones I've been checking out right now

If you want to keep the weight down, the VX-5HD and VX-6HD are good choices out of the scopes listed so far. I assume thats important, you did buy a Ridgeline. The others mentioned, NXS, ATACR and Razor, are kind of heavy weights. Great choices but check their specs if you're concerned about weight.

I've got five Leupold VX-6's now including 3 3-18x50's and I couldn't be happier with them.

They would meet your needs and budget all the way up and down.

I was thinking SFP because it's going to be more of a hunting gun but not 100% locked in on that yet. A couple scopes I was looking at and some are over my price range...but they're the nightforce ATACR, leupold VX5 and 6, Vortex razor. Just some of the ones I've been checking out right now

Those are excellent scope choices. The SFP vs FFP boils down to personal preference and application. 2 of the last 3 scope purchase were FFP and I am very pleasemy transition and the scope's performance. I have a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 FFP Varmint Reticle ($630) on my .270 AI and a 5-20x50 HD FFP SWFA (<$1K) on my .300 WSM. Both optics meets my clarity and repeatability requirements for hunting and shooting.

Near 600 yard max range hunting rifle, you talking a NF ATACR 4-16x50.
Another one of my favorites that i run is the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 if would prefer a little lighter scope.

I have a Swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 on my 7mm mag. My longest shots will be approximately 600 yds. It's the best low light scope I've ever owned.

Quite happy with it.

for hunting lighter weight and 600yds or less, I wouldn't mess with much over 18x or 20x, really isn't that necessary. That being said, a leupold vx-6 3-18 or swarovski 3.5-18 Z5 would fit the bill nicely. the swaro will be lighter, but they are both extremely clear and because of model updates, both can be had for smoking deals. I picked up my leupold vx6 3-18x50 for $899 at cabela's brand new unopened.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.