Lightweight Rifle Build

I agree with all of this except

"Your comments about a longer barrel will give higher velocity and less muzzle flip counteract each other. Muzzle flip or jump is simply a product of the amount of energy put into a rifle system. Longer barrel means more velocity, more velocity means more recoil energy, more recoil energy means more muzzle flip unless controlled in some manner."

I'm not 100% sure that velocity gained by having a longer barrel would increase recoil or muzzle jump. It's potentially the exact same powder charge, weight bullet etc. My thought is the added weight from the longer barrel would reduce perceived recoil. I'd be curious for someone who is more educated on physics to explain that one in depth.
Not educated, but have shot .223 pistols.

I agree with all of this except

"Your comments about a longer barrel will give higher velocity and less muzzle flip counteract each other. Muzzle flip or jump is simply a product of the amount of energy put into a rifle system. Longer barrel means more velocity, more velocity means more recoil energy, more recoil energy means more muzzle flip unless controlled in some manner."

I'm not 100% sure that velocity gained by having a longer barrel would increase recoil or muzzle jump. It's potentially the exact same powder charge, weight bullet etc. My thought is the added weight from the longer barrel would reduce perceived recoil. I'd be curious for someone who is more educated on physics to explain that one in depth.

The rifle in your hands, in terms of recoil, is like a fulcrum. If you are applying the same force on the object that moves about the fulcrum in a position close to the fulcrum and far away then the force applied closer will cause a great movement of the object about the fulcrum. Shorter barrels, for this reason, produce more "felt" or "perceived" recoil even if the actual force is the same. The ME of the projectile increasing or decreasing due to increased or decreased speed at a fixed weight does not impact this. The sudden expansion of gas at the end of the barrel is what causes the muzzle to rise, recoil, etc. If you have the same weight bullet and the same powder charge in the same caliber, the force at the muzzle will be equal as the available fuel for combustion is the same as is the pressure inside the system. The bull exiting only has more muzzle energy because it has more time in a sealed tube to accelerate and take full advantage of the peak pressure in the barrel. When we talk about muzzle energy, that is the energy that the bullet would hit something with if it impacted at the muzzle. Not the actual force acting upon the muzzle. That force will be more felt in the shorter barrel as it is acting on the system closer to the fulcrum, and in addition to that the shorter rifle is likely of lighter weight causing even less resistance against that force.

I recently bought a cheap CA FFT in 6.5 CM and threw on a left over scope (2lbs 3 oz with rings on it). Shoots good enough. Weighs 8lbs 6 oz with cheek riser and scope. It could loose lots of weight with changing the scope and no cheek piece.

Attachments

• PXL_20240403_003142107.jpg
    PXL_20240403_003142107.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240403_175639024.jpg
    PXL_20240403_175639024.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20240408_160111447.jpg
    PXL_20240408_160111447.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 32
I've seen this subject visited regularly for the last 50 years….physics has laid down the law…I'd rather carry my 8# reliable first shot tack driver on a "hard-to-get-tag" hunt.
Spend your time at the gym, jogging with a weighted pack and otherwise working out…forego the smokes and the alcohol…

In these discussions it's usually the 20+ extra pounds around the gut guy spending an extra 1K to shed 1# 9 ounces off a gun for a hunt that may only happen every 2-3 years….but to each his own.
This is hilarious, sorry, but dang. Just lose 20 lbs don't smoke and your golden? If you start out in great shape 1.5 pounds off an 8 pound rifle is still 19%. Now if you can take 19% off everything in your pack you just made your 60 pound pack a 49 pound pack. That can be the difference of elk and camp back to the truck in 4 trips, or 5 trips. If your 5 miles back you just saved yourself a 10 mile round trip if you can manage in 4. A 10 mile round trip sucks on the first trip, it can be soul crushing on the 5th. There are times when weight, and volume, and ease of carry matter. And by the way, there is no statute in the laws of physics that state you can't shoot a light rifle accurately, especially if you lose 20Lbs and don't smoke.😉