Help Newbie Build Lightweight Rifle

I don't often jump in on the this versus that volleys, but I have to say I bought a Tikka T3 lite for my young boys in 243 win and regret not trying Tikka sooner. I now own 2 of them and cannot say enough about how well they function and how well they shoot. Mine are T3 lite in 243, and T3 Forest 7mm-08. Both are sub 1/2 moa with factory ammo after trying numerous loads. Both are sub 1 Moa with 4 or 5 different factory loads. I topped them with inexpensive Vortex scopes and both are complete for under $1000 each. As a point of reference, I do also have rifles that cost much more than that and have Nightforce and high end Vortex and leupold scopes, and they are great as well for long range work, but for shooting inside of 500 yds, you really can't go wrong. My 2 cents.

A few years ago I was looking for the same thing. Because I am a die hard diy'r I decided on a semi custom. I started with a 700 ADL SS. ($450 at Sportsmans) Had the smith cut the barrel to 22", new crown, machined recoil lug, trued action face, lapped lugs, re-headspaced ($225). B&C Alaska Ti stock 24oz.($240) Bedded and free floated myself. PTG aluminum bottom metal. ($90) =$1005 With a Vortex 4-12, Tally rings and sling it comes in at 7lb 4oz. It was a fun and learning project. The gun handles great and shoots 1/2 moa to about 300, beyond that the limitations of the scope really show.

I was being serious...scope and rings is like 2lbs. If ur wanting a bare bones rifle for packing, use open sights. But sorry it did read that way.
I use a backpack sling and just lug my 13lb rifles around lol
Can you post a pic of your rifle sling/carry system?

4E3C9CB7-30CC-42C9-BE26-1D6F740FBBDA.jpeg
Can you post a pic of your rifle sling/carry system?
It says goretec on the label. My buddy bought it for me after we hunted elk for 3 days in some bloody rough hills with a foot of snow on the level.lol works good though. I can carry that rifle all day no problem.

I leave my rear bag attached, there's a buckle it snaps to on the bottom, adds a little counterbalance to the heavy barrel and doesn't get left behind if u get up and leave in a hurry. I did that once and went back in the dark to find it lol.

If u think game is near I'll drop my left strap off my shoulder and carry the rifle like a regular sling on my right shoulder.
It pretty much the only sling I hunt with unless I'm gonna be in heavy bush then I have a 3 point sling for that.

I'm actually about to build a rifle for myself along those very same lines! I'm wanting to stay under 6# scoped, loaded, slung, and ready to hunt with. It's going to be my all round, pack all day, for days on end whitetail rifle. I'm going with my all time favorite cartridge for whitetails-the 7mm08. I'm going to perform some careful diet surgery on an Browning A-Bolt action, either fairly light contour, or carbon fiber wrapped barrel, exhibition or exhibition+ grade of Claro walnut, and going to machine in a bedding block & glass it in the stock, and use either Contreol rings, or DNZ with their 1 piece ring/base, but 2 seperate 1s, and a 2.5x-8x-40mm, or a 2x-10x-40mm scope.

20171229_075621.jpg
View attachment 86756
It says goretec on the label. My buddy bought it for me after we hunted elk for 3 days in some bloody rough hills with a foot of snow on the level.lol works good though. I can carry that rifle all day no problem.

I leave my rear bag attached, there's a buckle it snaps to on the bottom, adds a little counterbalance to the heavy barrel and doesn't get left behind if u get up and leave in a hurry. I did that once and went back in the dark to find it lol.

If u think game is near I'll drop my left strap off my shoulder and carry the rifle like a regular sling on my right shoulder.
It pretty much the only sling I hunt with unless I'm gonna be in heavy bush then I have a 3 point sling for that.

I have one similar to yours but could not get use to it. The Kifaru gunbearer works best for me.

Last edited:
I have one similar to yours but could not get use to it. The Kifaru gunbearer works best for me.
Interesting. My buddy isn't too sure about his either, but I like it. So I guess a person has to try it and see what works for them

Thanks for the recommendation! Any idea on the wright of the b14 hunter stock? I want to be able to compare it to the Stocky's to see how much weight I'm saving. I'm also looking at weatherby's wilderness rifle at 6.75lbs for $800 or savages light weight hunter at 5.65lb for $700-$900
I agree that it would be hard to build a rifle for that price. You can buy a savage lightweight hunter for $550-625 or a kimber hunter for around $725. Both of these can be had in the calibers your looking for and both should give you great accuracy.

That's a great idea! Does it attach to any backpack? How well does it work while hiking?

They sell one that atttaches to a Kifaru pack or similar or the universal one that mounts to any 2" web belt packs. It works very well for me while hiking and very accessable with a quick snap.

There's a quite a few videos in youtube aboit it like ...

View attachment 86811

Yep, that's exactly it.

I also have the Safari sling (I have the bottom one in the video) and works as well ...

I've looked at a safari sling, end result is not much different than a 3 point sling, just made for a hunting rifle. I'm gonna have to try out the kifaru gun bearer, looks slick as can be

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.