338 for elk hunting- Build a lightweight rifle

Gotta love all the 338 haters!!
😂 😂 😂
Now you've done it! :)

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Well not a Papua but it's a 338 Edge ,300 gr. bergers , 30" proof ,T-3 terminator in a McMillan Game hunter Edge , Remington stainless action , 20 moa rail , heavy 34"" rings , Burris XTR ii 5 x 25 x50 .
All in its 10.6 pounds . I have a another 338 Edge at 14.6 pound and my heavy one is 19.4 pounds . It's been out to 3027 yards so far .
I'm building another 338 Edge but 27" barrel and a lighter Scope .
Last years Elk at 1244 yards .

Rum Man
Wow. That's a long shot

Shooting a light 338 accurately/ consistently can be a challenge. I have a 33N thats under 8 pounds ready to hunt. The recoil from that is too snappy for most people to shoot well judging by the reaction of people who have shot it.

That said it sure is easier to pack than a 14 pound gun.

BIngo..........I used to be a real fiend for the big 33's, I used them more than a bit. Generally the .340 Wby which is just another 338 Lap.

My first one and the one I used the most was on a 700, with a 4.5 weight Schneider, Brown stock, Conetrols, 3-10 Leo. I mainly ran 250 Nozlers in it. It was 8.25's with sling and rounds "all up".

It was capable long and near from porcupines and chucks to elky's....:)

For me and this is only me I see zero reason to carry a rifle much heavier though by getting it to 9 "all up" it would be more user friendly.

I'm not a fan of brakes but do appreciate Magnaport so that's what I did with my .340's just to keep the scope off my noggin. I generally like the elk to bleed more than me...

Bottom line, go basic 700, you can easily keep it sub 9 lbs ready to rock and roll and I'd just go .340 and blind box.

Seems like before I improved my 338, I was in the ball park of just under 2900 fps with a 30" barrel running 300s. After improving it, I was getting 3030-3050. Accuracy was around 2875 for the standard LM. Accuracy seems better at the higher velocities with the improved. Around 3030 is my best accuracy with RL33
Thanks

If all you have are cow tags, take a 308. Everyone I know who killed a cow/calf this year did it inside 200 yards.

Good point Gerrry, though my 22/250 has been quite elk effective as well:)

One behind the fronts and down they go. Course not at the ranges most talk about here but to 300 just fine

I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?
My .338 lighter weight build. 9.7lbs. Lilja light sporter contour, thunder beast 3 port brake, northwest action on an MDT chassis. The recoil is not bad at all. My previous .338 was "tacticool" and weighed 15lbs...and was miserable to haul up hills.
B4067B77-2F1E-4ED0-A062-315F74553081.jpeg
EA7FAECB-9952-4512-8AD3-769211FE7295.jpeg
DABF9EB7-152B-4876-B0B0-AA619AB1A52B.jpeg
DABF9EB7-152B-4876-B0B0-AA619AB1A52B.jpeg
0270D1FD-1BFF-47CF-9343-26A503EBF365.jpeg
0270D1FD-1BFF-47CF-9343-26A503EBF365.jpeg

Okay, the .338 LM kicks. So do a lot of other rifles, particularly if they are really light weight. We all know weight helps absorb recoil. But when you're hunting, if everything goes right you take only one shot. Game over. It's the sighting in, developing loads and checking sights that hurt when shooting from the bench. So protect yourself when sitting at the bench and enjoy carrying a light rifle while hiking over the hills. Taking one shot with a light rifle that is properly sighted will get your game. How many shots at game will you take during a year?

Good friend of mine was a logger after hs in/around Southern Oregon/Klamath Falls.

He loved to practice with his .340 Weatherby when out in the woods - putting gas cans across a ravine - maybe 500 yards - and making them jump around. Can't remember if he had a break on it?

But hey - we wuz young and full of **** and vinegar.

Back then - 60-70's - people didn't really shoot long ranges in the timber - couple hundred usually the longest - but one time - he was looking down and a couple of big Bulls were walking along a valley floor - later estimated to be about 700 yards. They were walking straight away and he shot down -and got one right through the neck - and it just dropped right in his tracks.
Overall - he has shot something like 47 Elk (a few Cows - mostly Bulls) - and has the racks all over the equipment barn.

I prefer the extra weight of my 338 LM improved. I carry with dual shoulder padded straps. Can't tell it's even on my back. The recoil isn't bad even if the rifle is under 10 lbs with a brake but the heavier rifle seems to be a better shooter especially improving the case. Putting 104-106 grains of powder in a case pushing a 300 grain bullet tends to be a viscious combination. I feel too light of a package can be challenging to take to the point of ultimate accuracy. This exactly why the ELR guys shoot 20lb+ set ups in the 338 LM improved. Don't think I've seen a set up under 18lbs on the ELR line.

I currently have a 338 lapua, it comes in at 14.4 lbs. Im looking at building a light weight 338 lapua or Improved shooting 300gn bergers. I elk hunt with my current rifle but would like to drop a few pounds with all the hiking we do. Just returned from WY and hiked 32 miles in 5 days. Our group went 5 for 5 on cows.

Anyone have experience with a light weight rifle in these calibers?
Would you go improved or standard 338 lapua?
A 340 Weatherby weighs about 8 to 8.5 pounds San scope. Scope and mounts will add 1.5 to 2.5 pounds. At 9.5 to 11 pounds it is both portable and recoil is tolerable, more so with a good brake. This works if you do not mind a belted case.

Recent Posts