Suggestions for lightweight 6.5 hunting rifle

Just to clarify, I don't know anyone making 162 grain bullets for 6.5, but out of my swede, I have 156 grain Oryx loads made by Norma. The European's have been killing Moose with them for years. I've not killed either an Elk or Moose. And Moose over there are smaller than our Elk here. The 6.5x284 or a 6.5x55ai may have the horsepower and high bc bullets, but not weight. Maybe a 156 grain 6.5 bullet gets him a little closer with my weight example. But jumping to 270 or 284 adds bc, weight and sectional density. That's all I was saying. I'm no expert that's for sure. I'm just weighing in and watching what's going on with this build. I too am interested in knowledge from you guys. You could add in a 264 win mag or best idea in 6.5 maybe a 6.5 stw, there is still 8mm rem mag brass out there to neck down. Layne Simpson is using it right now. Loves it. Look him up. He knows the most about horsepower.

Just to clarify, I don't know anyone making 162 grain bullets for 6.5, but out of my swede, I have 156 grain Oryx loads made by Norma. The European's have been killing Moose with them for years. I've not killed either an Elk or Moose. And Moose over there are smaller than our Elk here. The 6.5x284 or a 6.5x55ai may have the horsepower and high bc bullets, but not weight. Maybe a 156 grain 6.5 bullet gets him a little closer with my weight example. But jumping to 270 or 284 adds bc, weight and sectional density. That's all I was saying. I'm no expert that's for sure. I'm just weighing in and watching what's going on with this build. I too am interested in knowledge from you guys. You could add in a 264 win mag or best idea in 6.5 maybe a 6.5 stw, there is still 8mm rem mag brass out there to neck down. Layne Simpson is using it right now. Loves it. Look him up. He knows the most about horsepower.
I don't know of any 6.5mm bullets heavier than 140gr available in the US.

As for the 6.5STW I'm very familiar with it, and have shot the 7mm STW since shortly after it was first developed. As for the 6.5STW, no sense owning such a barrel burner in my opinion.

2850fps with a quality bullet is more than enough to get the job done with any of the 6.5's and 3000fps is just gravy. Anything more than that simply isn't worth the added pressures and heat.

I don't know of any 6.5mm bullets heavier than 140gr available in the US.

As for the 6.5STW I'm very familiar with it, and have shot the 7mm STW since shortly after it was first developed. As for the 6.5STW, no sense owning such a barrel burner in my opinion.

2850fps with a quality bullet is more than enough to get the job done with any of the 6.5's and 3000fps is just gravy. Anything more than that simply isn't worth the added pressures and heat.

Hornady has made a 160 round nose in 6.5 for years. I'm not sure if they still do or not ? It is no long range round as the b.c. is similar to a rock, but the sectional density is sure there and would put a hurt on a moose inside 300 yards......Rich

You can get Woodleigh 160 gr 6.5 bullets from Midway....

I have some but have not had a rifle yet that preferred them over lighter options that were as good.

Interesting thread. After a lot of research I was going to have a 6.5-284 built, then I ran into a NIB Allen Precision 270 WSM. This rifle has a Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger, Manners MCS-SL stock, and 26" Satern 4 taper barrel. It weighs in at about 6 3/4 lbs bare. Initial barrel break-in and fireforming of 50 Norma cases produced an average 3/4 MOA with nothing going over 1". Load development will start soon.
With the Night Force 2.5-10 and Talley bases/rings, weight is around 8 lbs, just right for a light enough rifle to carry in the high altitudes I hunt at, and enough heft to settle well for 6 and 700 yard shooting.
I was sold on the WSM over the 6.5-284 by the availability of factory ammo - you know, if I ever get really lazy or some crazy thing happens and my handloads end up in the bottom of a lake, and that with available bullets and the WSM case I can virtually duplicate my favorite round, the 7 Rem mag, for a heavier elk round than the 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.