300 PRC hunting rifle suggestions

AFmaryland

I plan on posting a "want to buy" in the classifieds when I get my post count up.

In the meantime, I also wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on builds or stock rifles to fit my needs.

Im looking for a 300 PRC hunting rifle, strictly for hunting, no targets. I hunt both east and west coast in varied terrain.

While I don't need a 6lb rifle, I also think that 12lb starts getting heavy up in the mountains. Im thinking a 26" barrel to get the most out of the PRC but I also know that adds weight. I won't be shooting suppressed (for now) but I will be using a break (Tipro) Im looking at stocks and chassis and while folding stocks are nice I am concerned about hot / cold metal chassis and the added weight of the folder.

Budget is $2,500 for the rifle without optics.

Seekins Precision PH2 is plenty light and will leave you money to spare for the scope and ammo. Hard to find anyone that says they don't shoot great. Their Element is even lighter but also a shorter barrel. They're one of the best production rifles out there right now in my opinion. The PRCs do pretty well on shorter length barrels though. If you could stretch your budget or find a good deal on a barreled action the MDT carbon folding chassis may interest you. Weatherby is producing a rifle on it called the 307 Alpine.

Seekins Precision PH2 is plenty light and will leave you money to spare for the scope and ammo. Hard to find anyone that says they don't shoot great. Their Element is even lighter but also a shorter barrel. They're one of the best production rifles out there right now in my opinion. The PRCs do pretty well on shorter length barrels though. If you could stretch your budget or find a good deal on a barreled action the MDT carbon folding chassis may interest you. Weatherby is producing a rifle on it called the 307 Alpine.
that alpine looks pretty sweet and is coming out this summer

Build your own. I have a Christensen Arms Mesa 300 PRC barrel for sale. PM me if your interested.
The cost of quality barrels / actions in the custom world is pretty high right now it seems...I can't find a barreled action combo that doesn't put me over my $2,500 budget with the stock / chassis. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though.

Yes build your own,..it all depends on what you want..the type of hunting or shooting you intend to do. A rifle is just another tool to help you accomplish a certain task. Some specialized some more general, in applications to fit a general need in mass production. Checking them out for fit, feel, weight, action smoothness, etc in a large sporting goods store may help get an idea if a production rifle comes close to your needs.

The cost of quality barrels / actions in the custom world is pretty high right now it seems...I can't find a barreled action combo that doesn't put me over my $2,500 budget with the stock / chassis. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places though.
I usually build my rifles for under that price. Typically find private owner like new stocks and actions. Be surprised how you can put together what you need for under that price and have a gunsmith chamber and barrel the action.

I build my 308 for about $650, from old parts from other guns lying around. Bought 29" Bartlein Sendero profile, 9 twist 5R cut to 22". Free Remington 700 SA, Action from an old rifle, trued it, chambered the barrel, with a reamer I already had, threadrd the barrel for a brake, milled of the old bolt knob for tactical bolt knob. Small Inletting job for Magpul detachable AICS mags, MDT mag for feeding 2.980" out if the box. Assembled in a free R 700 LTR police stock with Alum bedding block..darken the SS barrel with Brownells Alums hyde. Install muzzle brake...done 7.5 lbs without scope but ready to go..about $650 for premium barrel, muzzle brake $89, bottom Magpul detachable mag assembly $65, and MDT mag $79. Plus free labor if ya had a mill and lathe to help accomplish the task.
But Southern Precision Rifles has a service for chambering a premium barrel, for a number of actions with are attached to the action with a Bugnut or Savage type nut & wrench.They sell actions also. Defiance Machine used to have a barreled action available too, heard prices have escalated also. Check it out see what you can afford and what parts can be scrounged up cheaply.

Why not buy something something done already? This was posted this morning and seems to be a great value. Throw it in a nice stock and be in it for 1600:

Why not buy something something done already? This was posted this morning and seems to be a great value. Throw it in a nice stock and be in it for 1600:
Appreciate the heads up. I have heard some troubling things about Christensen arms QC…lot of warranty uses it seems but maybe it's biased on the forums.

I built two on LH Savage actions in 2020, a 22-250 and a 260. Both use 24" SS Shilen varmint contour barrels and both use reinforced factory Savage plastic stocks. Both weigh 9lbs 4oz ready to hunt and will shoot 1/2 moa at 200 yards.

The 260 was built on a LH model 10 in 308 that I paid $400 for and sold the barrel for $65, I have less than $650 in this rifle without the scope. The 22-250 was a little more costly to build as it was built on a model 10 action that only had the bolt and trigger. I had to buy the stock, 22-250 specific magazine box and barrel nut, probably $750 without optics.

For about $2500 total and some work I have two mid weight rifles that shoot very well. I don't think I'll ever buy an off the shelf rifle again, unless it's a donor.

IMG_5308.jpg

You can buy a Savage 110 FCP in 300 prc for $1050 on GunBroker.

A little heavy for some folks' taste (11 - 12 lbs), but a very well-equipped rifle. Comes with a blueprinted target-style action, HS Precision stock, Accurate-Mag bottom metal and DBM, muzzle brake, and Picatinny scope rail.

Savage barrels can be hit or miss. If you get one that won't shoot that well, it's pretty easy to replace it with a high quality custom aftermarket barrel that will shoot lights out in a Savage action.

If you have a donor 700LA magnum I would consider a #5 contour Hart, Bartlein, Brux or any other premium barrel. Mesa makes a great lightweight stock. Stiller is probably the least expensive custom action and are very solid. Add your favorite trigger and you can have a great rifle very near your budget or less. People recommend donor actions which are great if it's the right configuration, but it's not inexpensive to properly true everything and install the barrel properly. Savage can be a good option but they're hit or miss. For me I like building the rifle because I enjoy it but they don't shoot enough better for a hunting rifle. There are a good number of quality rifles on the market like the Seekins mentioned earlier which will likely shoot as well most custom rifles, especially for hunting.

Brownells has free shipping and sales on barreled actions...Christensen Arms carbon fiber or SS in 22" or 26" $750 to $999 carbon fiber barrel. Howa $400 $500, Areo Precision bolt action looks interesting, Bergara available. Carbon fiber Stockys Stocks, in 24 oz area. Or Aluminum chassis $400 ish with 2.850" ACIS MDT detachable 5 rd mag $99.
Lots of opertunities to actually accomplish the build with a variety of weights available, if walking around alot rifle, a carbon fiber barreled action $999 and carbon fiber stock $400 would be a good start.