300 PRC hunting build

I think maybe my post was taken differently than I meant it to be. Im just offering my info so OP can decide how it fits into what he wants, not telling him it's the answer to his question.

If I was personally building a "1000 yard elk gun" I'd probably want another inch or two on it, or perhaps a bigger case. If I was building an all around long range hunting rifle that can also go out that far.... well... I'd do what I did :)

the only hunting rifle I would consider a barrel longer than 24" anymore is I guess what could be termed a canyon rifle. Something like a lapua improved, about 16 pounds that I could go to sleep behind. That may be what OP is wanting, if it's a dedicated ELR elk rifle. Otherwise for a carry it all over gun I just love shorter barrels. I think 22-24" is a good range, if I felt I needed some more steam I'd personally go up to a 24" 30 nosler before I went to a 26" prc. But that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

after seeing more about the rest of OPs arsenal and where this rifle will fit in I agree stepping up to a bigger case and perhaps a 338 would probably make the most sense, seems like he has rifles to cover the all around LRH rifle situation and this is truly a specialized big boomer build.
I agree with the longer barrel for the 300 PRC. That said, a 22" barreled 300 PRC is plenty of barrel for 1000 yard Elk. I'm building mine on a 26" barrel to get the most of the cartridge. That's just my choice. If my criteria were having a carry rifle for mountain hunting, it'd be a lightweight, short version of what I'm building suppressed. 22" w/6-7" can installed. Weigh in around 8-9 lbs scoped. Easily aquire 2900 fps with 212s.

The 300prc has factory freebore of around 230k, which works great with 225-230 gr high BC bullets. The 30nosler saami reamer works well for 215 Bergers with their short bearing surface. My 30N has a freebore of 225. It works pretty dang well! I'm running 215s @ 3075 fps w/ rl26 through adg brass. 26" proof barrel.
The 300 PRC was specifically designed for heavy for caliber bullets. They did not exist when the 300wm was developed.

Today however if you're getting a rifle built all you need to do is tell the smith what you are considering for bullets and they will cut the freebore accordingly.

The PRC was design built to be a step down from the 300wm to meet specific velocity requirements for PRC shooting.,

The PRC was design built to be a step down from the 300wm to meet specific velocity requirements for PRC shooting.,
That must be why they made the case 3gr more capacity and longer freebore, to be a step down. Let's be serious......the prc was designed to be a higher performance 30 cal chambering in pretty much all aspects, minus otc factory ammo options.

That must be why they made the case 3gr more capacity and longer freebore, to be a step down. Let's be serious......the prc was designed to be a higher performance 30 cal chambering in pretty much all aspects, minus otc factory ammo options.
Their velocity limit is./was in competition was 2950, that's what the cartridge was designed around.

Their velocity limit is./was in competition was 2950, that's what the cartridge was designed around.
I think that's like saying the 6.5 PRC was designed for less performance than the 6.5-284 because there weren't heavy bullets when that cartridge was designed either. Let's face it, the 300 PRC WAS designed for competition needs and for loading long (not necessarily heavy) bullets that are high BC match bullets for ELR. That alone puts it in a different class performance wise than the 300WM. Not being enough to brag about, the PRC uses it's case more efficiently and able to fit in a 3.7" magazine doing it with those long bullets. These are things the 300WM can't do getting identical performance. The PRC also does have a little more case capacity. Not considering OAL, the 300WM is pretty much neck in neck with the PRC in performance. Edge goes to the PRC just as edge goes to the 6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284.

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

I think that's like saying the 6.5 PRC was designed for less performance than the 6.5-284 because there weren't heavy bullets when that cartridge was designed either. Let's face it, the 300 PRC WAS designed for competition needs and for loading long (not necessarily heavy) bullets that are high BC match bullets for ELR. That alone puts it in a different class performance wise than the 300WM. Not being enough to brag about, the PRC uses it's case more efficiently and able to fit in a 3.7" magazine doing it with those long bullets. These are things the 300WM can't do getting identical performance. The PRC also does have a little more case capacity. Not considering OAL, the 300WM is pretty much neck in neck with the PRC in performance. Edge goes to the PRC just as edge goes to the 6.5 PRC vs 6.5-284.
Both Cartridges debuted around 2016. There may have been a previous version of the 6.5RPM but this is not that. This is a new proprietary round.

I was wrong and thinking of the the 30 PRC which others tried to develop using the same case as the 6.5 PRC. The 300 is just about the ballistic equal of the 300wm with slightly more capacity and lacking the belt.

It's basically just a straight 300-375 Ruger necked down, the 6.5 PRC was built off of a different and shorter original case.

You're repeating what I said., The 6.5 and 300 PRC's were purpose built for PRC competition and designed to load very long heavy for caliber bullets.

The 300wm was not. That's why if you're trying to get the same performance out of the 300wm with those long heavy bullets you need to use a faster twist barrel and longer throat than was available when the 300wm hit the market and dominated the market and 30 caliber long range shooting for decades.

That isn't untrue and it isn't an insult, they were designed for different purposes.

Recent Posts