300 PRC Build

I've had both. I prefer a longer throat in the Nosler but SAAMI to SAAMI the Nosler still wins as long as the mag box is at least 3.7".

Does anyone know what bottom metal options are out there for a 300 PRC. I have a Greyboe stock being built for my 300 PRC build and was going to use there bottom metal long action for magazines. Is everyone using the mags with OAL of 3.85.

HS precision bottom metal is what I'm using for my 300 PRC build.
Only problem I've found is the bottom metal is it doesn't fit over timney trigger. Looks like some file work is going to be needed in-which I've call bull crap with the two companies. The timney is roughly .150 thicker than an original Remington trigger causing a fitting issue.
Ignorant in the design from HS to make a bottom metal with that tolerance.

Does anyone know what bottom metal options are out there for a 300 PRC. I have a Greyboe stock being built for my 300 PRC build and was going to use there bottom metal long action for magazines. Is everyone using the mags with OAL of 3.85.

I'm using a HS precision Bottom metal from a 300 Remington ultra mag. Information was Was from a defiance action person who also is building a 300 prc for his personal use. If you use a timney trigger u will have to do some file work on bottom metal or at least I did.

I'm using a HS precision Bottom metal from a 300 Remington ultra mag. Information was Was from a defiance action person who also is building a 300 prc for his personal use. If you use a timney trigger u will have to do some file work on bottom metal or at least I did.

I ended up getting the Hawkins Precision with CIP mags. Thanks

Mine is finished and came together nicely. One range trip so far for breaking in with factory ammo and it shot very nice. Taking handloads out next time and I should see some slight improvement. It shot 1/2 moa but I need more time to get some rounds down the tube. Rem 700 blueprinted action, triggertech trigger, proof 26" carbon barrel, Graybow stock, Hawkins Precision CIP bottom metal with Accurate mag 300RUM CIP mags, Nightforce rail with Seekins precision rings, Surefire brake and Can, KRG bolt knob cover.

FA7D8B74-E13B-433D-836C-5470CB9E39C4.jpeg
C6846C98-9F83-4550-B05C-59CEC824008B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is finished and came together nicely. One range trip so far for breaking in with factory ammo and it shot very nice. Taking handloads out next time and I should see some slight improvement. It shot 1/2 moa but I need more time to get some rounds down the tube. Rem 700 blueprinted action, triggertech trigger, proof 26" carbon barrel, Graybow stock, Hawkins Precision CIP bottom metal with Accurate mag 300RUM CIP mags, Nightforce rail with Seekins precision rings, Surefire brake and Can, KRG bolt knob cover.

View attachment 146255 View attachment 146256
Nice rifle. How are you liking the greyboe

Nice rifle. How are you liking the greyboe
So far so good. Very stiff and well made. Nicely equipped as it comes and they do us southpaws at reasonable cost. I purchased it through Redhawk Rifles and they had a deal back in May for free bottom metal and inlet with the purchase of any Greyboe. So it was about $380 with the Hawkins CIP.

jgs, that thing is super nice. Real close to what I've been brainstorming about for my 300 can ready build. What was the recoil comparative to, 308ish unbraked?

Weatherby Fan, any updates on this build?

Glad you asked, I sold the Stiller action and built a 2nd 300 PRC on a Kimber Montana 8400 (300wm) donor, I liked the first one we built on a Kimber Montana so much that I just went with the Montana again.

Trued and squared the action
Extended the mag box to 3.75"
Lightened the factory trigger to 2.5lbs
26" SS #4 Fluted, 1-9.5 twist, 5R Benchmark Barrel
2 port Brake added
Factory Montana Stock, with palm swell and high comb added
Talleys holding a Zeiss V6 5-30x50 ZMOA scope
With the scope rifle weighs 9lbs 1.5oz

So far both factory Hornady loads shot 50-60 FPS faster than advertised velocity
212 ELDX adv vel 2860 avg vel 2912 3/4" groups at 100 yds
225 ELDM adv vel 2810 avg vel 2865 5/8" groups at 100 yds

Did a string of Hornady 230gr A-Tips and R26,215m primers, started at 75grs and went in 2gr increments to 76.6 and had a node at 76-76.2 so went with 76grs and is averaging 2898 fps with the 230gr Atips

I have since added a brake to the rifle so hopefully get to the range in the next few days.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.