7mm PRC build

Tex Hancock

Ok so I dropped off a doner 30-06 at my local gun smith to build a 7mm PRC. I am building a lighter elk/mule deer rifle, so we are going with a proof carbon fiber barrel 1-8 twist. I I want a shorter barrel but, I was wondering if any of y'all could help me on deciding a barrel length. I am leaning towards a 22" barrel, but could be talked into a 20" also. I hand load all my bullets and will most likely be loading 169 gr Hammer bullets. I really want 3000fps from the barrel. Does anyone know if 3000fps could be obtained out of a 20" barrel using the 169 HH?

be interesting to see how the fat little case feeds out of the box

imagine you have to open the bolt face as well eh?

have you tried to see how 3 or 4 of the rounds fit in the box?
No I have not, I better do that before I order a stock, I was going back to a blind magazine, but I did not think of tiring to fit rounds in the box. Now you have me thinking, I might have some feeding issues that I will need to address.

Ok so I dropped off a doner 30-06 at my local gun smith to build a 7mm PRC. I am building a lighter elk/mule deer rifle, so we are going with a proof carbon fiber barrel 1-8 twist. I I want a shorter barrel but, I was wondering if any of y'all could help me on deciding a barrel length. I am leaning towards a 22" barrel, but could be talked into a 20" also. I hand load all my bullets and will most likely be loading 169 gr Hammer bullets. I really want 3000fps from the barrel. Does anyone know if 3000fps could be obtained out of a 20" barrel using the 169 HH?
I've got an improved blaser with a 24" that shot 175 eol just over 3000 and I'm guessing the prc will be slightly slower. Then subtract about 35 fps per inch less barrel.

I'm guessing 20" prc will be closer to 2800 than 2900 fps

I've got an improved blaser with a 24" that shot 175 eol just over 3000 and I'm guessing the prc will be slightly slower. Then subtract about 35 fps per inch less barrel.

I'm guessing 20" prc will be closer to 2800 than 2900 fps
thank you Sir, I feel like you are spot on. I think 22" or 24" will get me what I want

The saami spec for the 7prc is with a 24" barrel. Factory ammo claims a 180 eld at 2950 for said barrel. But your talking about a slightly lighter hammer so it's tough to say. I'd roll with the 180 eld, super slippery, one of the most killingest bullet around.