7mm build

I had the exact same idea. Settled on TL3, Manners EH1 w/CIP length mini chassis, proof 26" 8 twist 28 Nosler, TT Special, Arc Rings, and AMG. I had the barrel throated specifically for the 195's, and my coal at 3.715" is about 0.020" off the lands. I use retumbo for temp stability instead of RE33, I'm about 3033 fps. I think I could gain 100 fps or so if I used RE33. Could not be happier, and as long as you reload I would highly recommend the 28 for a hunting gun. Other people have said that with their barrel throated for the 195's that the 180 ELD-M's and 180 Bergers shoot well too, but I have only shot the 195's.

I don't know what the barrel life will be, but I'd imagine around 6-700 or so? but this is strictly a hunting barrel. I went with bighorn for the ease of switching a barrel and bought a steel 6.5x55 barrel to target shoot with and practice outside of hunting season.

qKOfHmN.jpg
1st, nice looking rifle! Is that an accurate magazine? Like from that company?
2nd, help me out here because I am fairly new to the barreling/re-barreling of my hunting rifles. Are you saying 6-700 rounds out of a new barrel and its done?
I went from shooting a few times before hunting season because "your going to just ruin your gun! Theres no point or need to be shooting up all of those bullets"(my grandfather in the 80's) to now, except for recent back surgery, going out back and shooting a couple/few sets of shots a couple times a week. So far that has been on my factory rem 700 7mm RUM with some gunsmithing. But this 28 nosler with the McGowen barrel will be the first "build" I have done. I have read about barrel break in. I have but havent decided if I am going to use the TUBBS Final Finish bore polishing process. Im just wondering how long the barrel will last and how do you know other than if you start having accuracy issues way down the road? Thanks!

1st, nice looking rifle! Is that an accurate magazine? Like from that company?
2nd, help me out here because I am fairly new to the barreling/re-barreling of my hunting rifles. Are you saying 6-700 rounds out of a new barrel and its done?
I went from shooting a few times before hunting season because "your going to just ruin your gun! Theres no point or need to be shooting up all of those bullets"(my grandfather in the 80's) to now, except for recent back surgery, going out back and shooting a couple/few sets of shots a couple times a week. So far that has been on my factory rem 700 7mm RUM with some gunsmithing. But this 28 nosler with the McGowen barrel will be the first "build" I have done. I have read about barrel break in. I have but havent decided if I am going to use the TUBBS Final Finish bore polishing process. Im just wondering how long the barrel will last and how do you know other than if you start having accuracy issues way down the road? Thanks!

It's an AICS mag, accurate mags are great too, these were just the only ones I could find in stock when I was looking. This is my understanding of it, and I could be wrong here but. For this set up, it's going to be a barrel burner. 28 Nosler is rough on barrels as is, then the 195 has a very long bearing surface. So it's going to take more pressure to get the bullet started which means more pressure and heat, abuse, on the throat. Going to wear it out faster than shooting say 150gr bullets. As far as telling when your barrel is going out. Easiest way will just be to see when it starts loosing accuracy. But you'll start losing velocity as well, and if you have a bore scope you can see the erosion in the throat. If I get more than life that, I will be happy. But I'm not expecting more than that.

I would not recommend using the TUBBS final finish in a custom barrel, it's already been lapped.

The 7mm Remington mag typically comes with a barrel that has a 1:10 twist rate. To get the most out of a heavy bullet like 180 to 195 in the .284 caliber the recommended twist for the 195 grain bullets is 1:8.3 to 1:9 twist. Shooting long range and hunting animals like Elk, I believe that is a great set up. The problem with the 7mm Rem mag is I don't think you can get the velocity that you really need. I could be wrong, maybe with a custom built gun you can milk that extra velocity out of it but I think its pushing the limit. The only experience I have with it is shooting and reloading my 7mm rem mag and reading and studding on other guns like the 28 Nosler, or the 7mm-300. I suppose the 7mm ultra mag would do it as well. Allot of people prefer cartridges that gets away from the belted cases. I plan to convert my 7mm Remington Mag to a 28 Nosler. I have heard good things about a 7 STW. I think you have to just look at what is best for you and your style of shooting. There is no perfect one solution. I love talking options and the pros and cons of different set ups. I wish I could have one of everything.

Last edited:
I thought they were normally 9.25" or 9.5". Some Browning rifles now come with 8" twist in the 7mm Rem Mag and 28 Nosler.
I am sure they do but it hasnt been until recent years they have. I think because of the Hand loader and popularity of the heavier bullets gun makers are giving more options that years ago wasn't available.

The 7mm Remington mag typically comes with a barrel that has a 1:10 twist rate. To get the most out of a heavy bullet like 180 to 195 in the .284 caliber the recommended twist for the 195 grain bullets is 1:8.3 to 1:9 twist. Shooting long range and hunting animals like Elk, I believe that is a great set up. The problem with the 7mm Rem mag is I don't think you can get the velocity that you really need. I could be wrong, maybe with a custom built gun you can milk that extra velocity out of it but I think its pushing the limit. The only experience I have with it is shooting and reloading my 7mm rem mag and reading and studding on other guns like the 28 Nosler, or the 7mm-300. I suppose the 7mm ultra mag would do it as well. Allot of people prefer cartridges that gets away from the belted cases. I plan to convert my 7mm Remington Mag to a 28 Nosler. I have heard good things about a 7 STW. I think you have to just look at what is best for you and your style of shooting. There is no perfect one solution. I love talking options and the pros and cons of different set ups. I wish I could have one of everything.
You would be easier to convert your 7mmRM to 7mm STW... It requires nothing more than reaming the current chamber, or having a new barrel put on.

.28 Nosler is based on a shortened .404 Jefferey case. If converting a standard belted magnum action to a Nosler or RUM cartridge, this requires you to use a RUM magazine box and follower, and have the bottom of the action's feed rails opened up by a gunsmith.

I'm shooting 150gr mono's and up to 175s in lead core bullets in my 1:9's and it's devastating.

With your 1:8.5 you should be able to stabilize the 161gr Peregrine VLR 5's with no problem, the straight 9tw is a bit slow. I could send you some to try if you like.
Wildrose, thanks for the info/ kind offer. Do you have a load recipe for the mono Perigrine to study and look at your range data? I am always curious. Where have you purchased these bullets? I've not heard of them until now. I live in a lead mine, lol..... I could not get Barnes to shoot in either rifle. Keyholes in the 9.25 twist factory barrel and unimpressive in the 8.5 twist Krieger---flyers there. Didn't pursue reloading these Barnes 168 LR afterwards. Stayed with Accubonds for this hunt.

Wildrose, thanks for the info/ kind offer. Do you have a load recipe for the mono Perigrine to study and look at your range data? I am always curious. Where have you purchased these bullets? I've not heard of them until now. I live in a lead mine, lol..... I could not get Barnes to shoot in either rifle. Keyholes in the 9.25 twist factory barrel and unimpressive in the 8.5 twist Krieger---flyers there. Didn't pursue reloading these Barnes 168 LR afterwards. Stayed with Accubonds for this hunt.
The 161's were keyholing on me in the 1:9 occasionaly but just generally did not want to group.

The 154's (I think) shot in the .3's for me in the two rifles I tested in. I can dig up the load data for you tomorrow but I think I was running RL26 and getting best accuracy and groups with it. They shot well with H1000 but not quite as well.

I get them directly from S. Africa and now from their new North American Distributor who is, or soon will be also loading some custom factory ammo with them.

I learned about them while in S. Africa when the Sirocco's failed me on two different animals doing extremely weird things expansion wise and turning 90 degrees with little penetration as a result. The PH told me franky I had to find a better bullet or stop shooting that rifle for the balance of the trip. The PH/My buddy also runs largest gun/ammo shop in the country and had me try the Peregrine's the next day after we got back to town. Haven't looked back since. They are the most consistent bullet I have ever shot for controlled expansion and that's saying a lot considering my decades long love affair with the Hornady Interbond.

One thing I Really like about them is that you can use load data for the Barnes LRX or TTSX without any problems.

I thought they were normally 9.25" or 9.5". Some Browning rifles now come with 8" twist in the 7mm RemMag and 28 Nosler.
Correct, the fast twist 7's are very new on the market since prior decades saw them used primarily with the 140/150gr class bullets.

One thing the wars have done to our benefit is open up the eyes of both the public and the better manufacturers for faster twist barrels and heavier for caliber, high BC bullets.

Thinking of building a 7mm to use the Berger 180's or 195 EOL's. Going to primarily use for S Texas long sendero shooting but also will be packing it out west. Thinking of using a Proof 26" 8 twist to stabilize the heavy bullets. Not tied to a specific caliber. Looking at a Bighorn TL3 long action to be able to have the option to switch calibers at a later date if wanted.

Thoughts on cartridges?

I like the 7mm bore diameter. I have a custom 98 mauser in 7x57 with a 26" semi varmit barrel.. My 150's are running 2990 at the muzzle. With the heavier bullets you are wanting to run I would recommend using going 7mm STW. A friend of mine have has 7X68 Ackley Improved chamber reamer if you want to avoid a belted cartridge.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.