7mm build

bpcrshooter

So, Im building a new rifle an I want to be able to hunt and do some LR target shooting with it. I bought a North west action( pinned), factory Remington stock, Brux 28in barrel,PTG recoil lug .300 thick, PTG bottom end, all metal is in stainless. My question is what trigger and scope?? I would like to keep the scope under $1300, and silver/stainless in color (if possible) trigger I was leanig towards the Tubb trigger but not sure.

thanks in advance

When you say "Remington Factory Stock" do you mean one of their tupperware factory composites or H-S Precision/Bell and Carlson?

I would not even consider putting a nice custom barreled action into one of their plastic stocks.

I'm unclear as to the action you are using as well as there are several different companies with "North West XXX" names.

You might want to call them and ask what they recommend.

it is a remington action that has been "gone thru" bolt face squared, threads cleaned up, bolt lugs lapped,ect
stock is a walnut factory, I cant stand plastic stocks of any kind, just the way I am I guess.

https://www.nwactionworks.com/
That makes it easy. Timeny, Jewell, and Rifle Basix Triggers are very popular aftermarket triggers for the 700 action. There are some others out there as well but those are probably the big three right now.

There's nothing wrong with the walnut factory BDL stocks but you do need to be a little more generous when floating the barrel to allow for some movement due to flex and weather changes.

You can take care of the latter to a great extent by having steel or aluminum pillars installed and at least bed the recoil lug and by treating and sealing the wood once all of the stock work is finished.

My rule for wood stocks is to take some tung oil and rub it in with bronze wool every day for a week or ten days or until it just ceases to absorb it. Once it reaches that point seal it with some sanding sealer, varnish, or shellac.

If you don't want to fool with that much stock work cruise the classifieds here at LRH and other forums along with Ebay for take off H-S Precision and Bell and Carlson stocks and stick it in one of them.

You can take care of the latter to a great extent by having steel or aluminum pillars installed and at least bed the recoil lug and by treating and sealing the wood once all of the stock work is finished.

this will be done I am using some old barrel cut offs for pillars tho an a .300 tapered recoil lug.

any thoughts on a scope??

Thanks matt

edit, sorry I forgot to mention that it is a left-handed rifle.

Timney Calvin Elite
GRS adjustable Hunting laminated stock
As for a silver scope, it would be better to just get a good scope and have it Cerakoted silver.

I really like the Timney Calvin Elite triggers. As far as a scope goes, you could go with a Leupold VX6. They do not come in silver, but their custom shop could make you one. Or you could go with a Nightforce SHV and have it Cerakoted.

is there one better than the other?? (leupold vx-6-night force)

also a friend at work told me about David Tubb triggers t7t to be exact, anyone have any comments about it good/bad??

Personally, I like the Nightforce better. For me the clarity of the glass is better as well as Nightforce has better reticle options. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Tubb triggers.

I've been very happy with the Leupold VX-6's I've bought. The TMOA and Boone and Crockett Reticles are both excellent.

I have both the 3-18x50 and 4-24x52's and have no problem recommending either.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.