7mm build

The 161's were keyholing on me in the 1:9 occasionaly but just generally did not want to group.

The 154's (I think) shot in the .3's for me in the two rifles I tested in. I can dig up the load data for you tomorrow but I think I was running RL26 and getting best accuracy and groups with it. They shot well with H1000 but not quite as well.

I get them directly from S. Africa and now from their new North American Distributor who is, or soon will be also loading some custom factory ammo with them.

I learned about them while in S. Africa when the Sirocco's failed me on two different animals doing extremely weird things expansion wise and turning 90 degrees with little penetration as a result. The PH told me franky I had to find a better bullet or stop shooting that rifle for the balance of the trip. The PH/My buddy also runs largest gun/ammo shop in the country and had me try the Peregrine's the next day after we got back to town. Haven't looked back since. They are the most consistent bullet I have ever shot for controlled expansion and that's saying a lot considering my decades long love affair with the Hornady Interbond.

One thing I Really like about them is that you can use load data for the Barnes LRX or TTSX without any problems.
This is some impressive key-holing from the 168 Barnes in a 9.25 twist at 2750 fps working up a load. I had never seen this before. Thought some one was shooting forks and knives from a blunderbuss next to me. Lol!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181201-115605_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-115605_Gallery.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 95
Sweet!
Interested to see how it likes the 195's.
Keep us posted
I finally tried out the 195's, only had time to shoot at 100 yards.
Pretty dang happy, I reduced the load to 67 grains RL 26 for 2900 fps and shot this group laying in the mud off a bipod.
20181201_120003.jpg

wow, this thread seems to be a good way to get a case of analysis paralysis....
my motto on guns no matter the question about them is this
"yer an American, you should have one in every caliber"
the nice thing about the 7rm is that there is a ton of data....cases laying around everywhere and powders galore that seem purpose made for that particular cartridge...
more 7rm barrels are put on actions than any other barrel in America I wager...so every gun smith should be able to ream and fit one blind folded...and you can shoot them over 3000 yards....and isn't that the real question? what is the realistic range of the cartridge? with the little ole 7mmrm it is further than you can shoot....honestly.

20170318_201516.jpg
11032.jpeg
11090.jpeg
I wanted a new 7mm custom, so I had one built around the 280 AI. It's not a magnum, but it does everything I have asked it to. Never failed to fetch game, and a ton of fun to shoot. It seems to want to shoot everyrhing really well, which makes load development fun.

Current hunting load is 150gn LRAB over 60.5gns of R26 inside of Nosler Brass lit with Fed 210 primers.

Muzzle velocity 3013 fps, and consistently shoots in the 3's with the occasional 1's and 2's.
I know it's not a magnum, and I'm not shooting the heavy's, but deer hate it.

I took a borescope to my old 82 vintage 700 Rem and it appears to have a lot of "heat checks" in the leade. Looks like surface cracks. I am relly anal about cleanliness.
What is that crazing stuff?
This old barrel has unknown round count and will only shoot a 168 berger at a mild speed of 2835 fps, but very accurate. Everything else in lower grain weights is a joke.....I don't know, but maybe retire that barrel? It checks on twist at 9.25 with cleaning rod/tight patch.

You may want to try polishing the throat with JB's, blue first then red or Tubbs TMS. Its not uncommon to have micro cracks and some are not as bad as they seem. The polishing will also help extend barrel life. I get 1400-1700 rounds with my magnums by polishing the throats every 300ish rounds.

The 7mm RM with a 8 twist barrel with the 180-195 bergers will kill at any practical range like lightening. The 180 berger hits like a mortor and will blow an exit hole about the size of a tennis ball. I have a proof research barrel on my 338 edge at 28" and the gun weighs about 8lbs. Also look at the 28 nosler or 7mm norma mag. I used a gunwerks GBR action on my edge and really like it. I s a great precision action for about $850.00 this action already has the extended mag well, filed stripable firing pin and is ultra smooth action

He is dead on. The 180-195 Berger's devistate anything that bleeds. Huge exit holes and massive blood loss..
I have the Gunwerks GPR action on my 338 edge and it is a great action for the money. Proof Research barrel makes mine right at 8lbs also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.