Featured Lightweight recoil pad suggestions?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by djfergus, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. djfergus

djfergus Well-Known Member

Looking for suggestions on lighter weight recoil pads that will still reasonably dampen recoil. I'm getting ready to put together a lightweight 7mm rem mag. I have mostly used limbsavers in the past. Can any one tell me if a kick eez, pachmyer, or another recoil pad comparable in recoil dampening would be any lighter than a limbsaver?

2. djfergus

No one will any suggestions?

3. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

Superlight? Try the microcell from hastings , 3 thicknesses 3 weights, all superlight I got the middle thickness and after grind it came out as 1.7 oz

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:09 AM
    blackaj likes this.
  4. djfergus

I will check them out. Thanks for the info.

5. LVJ76

LVJ76 Well-Known Member

I would provably go with a limbsaver if you are recoil sensitive, they work great and especially on a light rifle.

19 Badger and TheLongRanger83702 like this.
  6. Juano86

Juano86 Well-Known Member

x2 on the limbsaver! i have one on my T3x Superlite 7mm rem mag and its perfect.

7. blackaj

blackaj Well-Known Member

Definitely go with the micro cell from Hastings.
    Great recoil absorption, light as it gets

8. jrock

jrock Well-Known Member

Micocell if you want weight reduction. The 1/2" pad once ground comes in at less than 1 oz and actually works. I'd go with a 1" pad on the 7mm mag though. I really like the Limbsaver airtech pads too. Lighter than a regular pad and works better. Not near as light as the micro cells though.

9. Jack C Patterson

Jack C Patterson New Member

I've got a Pachmyers on my X-3 7mm RM and a Limbsaver on my Model 70 7mm RM, recoil is very manageable. No differently between the two.

10. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

The Hastings are generally used for shotguns, but I've seen some on rifles ground to fit. I like the Pachmayr and Limbsavers with great relief of recoil.

11. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

Buy some size 13 flip flops at walmart and carve a few out. Attach with glue. Superlight and when one wears out, cut out another. They make for some amazingly light pads. Variety of colors too lol.

LVJ76 and djfergus like this.
  12. djfergus

I
    I saw some pictures online where some one done that and it turned out to look really good after they shaped and sanded it. Looked like a factory job

13. KurtB

KurtB Well-Known Member

I've done one so far and if working on a lightweight wouldn't hesitate to do another. Matte black flip flop. Maybe $8 for enough material to do 4 pads.

djfergus likes this.
  14. djfergus

What glue seems to work the best? I'm guessing that something like contact cement, boat carpet glue or shoe repair glue would work.