.308 for Hogs

Will be in Fort Worth for a knife show on 18-19, then my buddy says he's 2.5 hours south,?, so wherever that is lol. Plan on doing as much carnage as I can, I know they're a nuisance, I just can't see paying to shoot'em, it's like coming to NY to kill rats hahahahaha
There is a $5/head hog bounty in two counties (Hays and ???) that flank I-35 a little south of that region. That must indicate a pretty large population. I doubt I'd go far to claim a $5 bounty, but it indicates how easy it is to find a hog to shoot.

There is a $5/head hog bounty in two counties (Hays and ???) that flank I-35 a little south of that region. That must indicate a pretty large population. I doubt I'd go far to claim a $5 bounty, but it indicates how easy it is to find a hog to shoot.
Yes, hence my reluctance to pay f I don't need to, thanks

Yes, hence my reluctance to pay f I don't need to, thanks
I'll be on a paid hunt but it includes everything I need/want. Lodging, food, and camaraderie with like-minded folk from all over. Hopefully we'll take a few smaller, good eating pigs. Most of the big boar hogs that we shot (as pictured above) stunk. My outfitter said that none were fit to eat, and we left them for the coyotes. It seemed like a waste to kill such big animals and leave them for the coyotes. We did take a large sow and that was butchered up and taken home but most of our kills were large boars.

I'll be on a paid hunt but it includes everything I need/want. Lodging, food, and camaraderie with like-minded folk from all over. Hopefully we'll take a few smaller, good eating pigs. Most of the big boar hogs that we shot (as pictured above) stunk. My outfitter said that none were fit to eat, and we left them for the coyotes. It seemed like a waste to kill such big animals and leave them for the coyotes. We did take a large sow and that was butchered up and taken home but most of our kills were large boars.
I have heard the musk gets worse as they get older, I probably won't be able to take much meat myself, got a 2 day drive home. If a lil one gets taken then fine, this is a combo hunt if you will, I get to shoot hogs, and farmer is happy, win win. As far as what else happens to meat it's up to them. if I do get a big boar, I wouldn't mind the tusks, but that's about it from what I have heard. Yeah I hunted camps upstate, great to be with like minded friends doing fun stuff, I started asking on another forum about a paid hunt, a few friends from down there said save your money, please shoot them off my land, so I'll use cash for feeding them while I am there 👍🏻 Hell had one buddy told me "you wanna shoot them with full auto to see what it does, let me know!" So yeah theres that hahaha

I have heard the musk gets worse as they get older, I probably won't be able to take much meat myself, got a 2 day drive home. If a lil one gets taken then fine, this is a combo hunt if you will, I get to shoot hogs, and farmer is happy, win win. As far as what else happens to meat it's up to them. if I do get a big boar, I wouldn't mind the tusks, but that's about it from what I have heard. Yeah I hunted camps upstate, great to be with like minded friends doing fun stuff, I started asking on another forum about a paid hunt, a few friends from down there said save your money, please shoot them off my land, so I'll use cash for feeding them while I am there 👍🏻 Hell had one buddy told me "you wanna shoot them with full auto to see what it does, let me know!" So yeah theres that hahaha
I good skull mount of a boar would be a nice reminder of the hunt.

The only boars worth eating really are the younger boars running solo or in small groups with no females along with of course the small guys running with a herd that aren't yet sexually mature.

The older they get beyond sexual maturity, the more testosterone they make and if there's a girl around they get really rank in a hurry.

You can make some decent sausage out of a mature boar but for most people that's it. That rank "boar smell" permeates the meat so even if you can make it taste decent the smell will be enough for most people to say, "No thanks".

Shoot the sows, they taste better and it helps to limit the population. A signle boar can service 30 or more sows per month but only a sow can drop and wean 3 litters of 8 to twelve piglets per year.

If you're meat hunting and can identify them start with the largest sow in the herd and work down. You'll get the most meat that way and the farmer gets the most reduction in not just the current herd but in it's future growth and new herds popping up.

Come back after dark with night vision or a spotlight and shoot the coyotes. 😂

Don't own an AR10, was planning on my 18" M1A , not as heavy as it looks lol ThanksView attachment 339971
That's a cool looking rig you got there. Should do the trick. I just picked up a Bergara B-14 BMP in 6.5 Creedmoor and am scavenging the scope and bipod off my black M1A Supermatch to outfit it so if you know anybody looking for a clean 7.62 M1A give me a holler.

Recent Posts