.308 for Hogs

Any rifle will work, shot placement & penetration is all you need. On an eradication (Hahaha, never eradicate) I used a single shot in 30/06, taking 11 with 9 cartridges. Blessed that day! I was patient and line up shots like grandpa taught me. Have fun!
Well no, not all cartridges or bullets will give you the necessary penetration.

Of course, I was only joking about the 3 round magazines. But ...... the NY "Safe Act" which Mario Cuomo pushed through actually restricted magazine capacity to 10 rnds but you were limited to only putting 7 rnds in it. And that's no joke.

Possession of a standard 20-30rnd mag is a felony here. Purchasing a new AR will get you life unless you're active PD. :rolleyes:
And let's not talk about suppressors because someone may be listening.

All of that and the crime in NYC is at historic levels.
Sounds like in NY, hog hunting needs to take a back seat to politician hunting. Our Founding Fathers would already have been finished shooting a second time.....ain't talking hogs either. :) :) :)

I feel that 308 is plenty of gun for pigs, but regardless, they're tough animals. I put a 175gr federal terminal ascent through a sow at 120 yards a while back, blew an artery out the baseball sized exit wound, and she still ran 150 yards. I tend to pick my pig gun based upon where and how I'm hunting. Dragging a big heavy rifle through miles of public land sucks. But when I'm at my buddys farm on a mission of sub 200 yard eradication, I take an AK typically. It all depends, but it's always fun.

I feel that 308 is plenty of gun for pigs, but regardless, they're tough animals. I put a 175gr federal terminal ascent through a sow at 120 yards a while back, blew an artery out the baseball sized exit wound, and she still ran 150 yards. I tend to pick my pig gun based upon where and how I'm hunting. Dragging a big heavy rifle through miles of public land sucks. But when I'm at my buddys farm on a mission of sub 200 yard eradication, I take an AK typically. It all depends, but it's always fun.

Speer TNT 125 gr. Just put the thump on them. no blow through

Speer TNT 125 gr. Just put the thump on them. no blow through

When I was younger and you heard stories of how tough the shoulder shield is was on feral hogs. My biggest rifle back then was a 270 win 26 inch barrel so I loaded up a bunch of 150 spbt for Texas stands with hog feeder hunting.

Everyone I shot was blow throughs and you could even have chunks of lungs on the ground and a big blood trail and they would run off and die. So you had to go searching for them. The 150's were good for the two for one shots. You just wait for two to be eating side by side before you pull the trigger. The pig on the far side was often dead right there because it got hit with an expanded bullet and took on the foot pounds. blow throughs don't impart energy on the animal.

That is when I figured out that varmint type frangible bullets was the DRT ticket and the thick shoulder shield didn't matter unless you were taking on Hogzilla! :) 130 gr. Barnes X .277 or just 100 and 110 varmint rounds were the best. I was into sub 250 pound hogs. Easier to deal with to remove the hams and back straps.

Since then I moved onward to AR10 in 308 and the TNT exploding 125 grain heading out the barrel at 3100 fps is the round for putting them down fast without runners.

I agree with budlight. The varmint type or even match type bullets at longer ranges work really well. No point in having a bullet dump it's energy into the ground behind the pig. I want all the energy from the bullet dumped into the pig! Hogstrike started making some pretty cool 5.56 rounds that are basically a frangable at blow apart internal organs.

I agree with budlight. The varmint type or even match type bullets at longer ranges work really well. No point in having a bullet dump it's energy into the ground behind the pig. I want all the energy from the bullet dumped into the pig! Hogstrike started making some pretty cool 5.56 rounds that are basically a frangable at blow apart internal organs.
I've shot pigs and even Fallow deer opportunistically with a .223 using Nosler BT, I would not set out to hunt these animals with the same but a Varmint rifle was what I had and head shooting was fine. DRT on several occasions when head shots presented.

I also recall a time when I shot a pig using a .308 at 100+ metres with the .308 using a Hornady Z-Max 168gn that pig went straight down, an hour later I shot a pig same bullet, same rifle.

A close shot about 20m broke up on the shoulder shield of a 60kg pig. I think what happened is that at close range the Ballistic Tip broke up on the shoulder sheild I dispatched it with a head shot. I had photos of the superficial damage.

I try learn from every hunt, every experience. Ive dropped plenty of pigs with different rifles. I've used the Speer TNT as well. Be careful, frangible bullets are not designed for hunting and will have inconsistent results.

Im not sure which projectile the Z-Max 168gn .30 cal is modelled on but I think it's a bulk packaged A-Max.