Subsonic.308 for hogs

I have shot several hogs with subsonic loads in the 308 with a suppressor. The other hogs run
from the sound of the bullet hitting the hog as much as the sound of the shot. I now use regular
loads with a suppressor and that works fine. Hogs DRT and easy follow up shots.

I tried subsonic loads in an AR-10 and they would not stabilize because they were long 260 bullets. Im glad I tested them before I went and attached the suppressor which could have destroyed it. I gave up on the project and still have most of the box of ammo.

Yeah I've just never had luck with any cartridge that was developed as supersonic and "de-tuned" to run subsonic. 300blk is about perfect for supers or subs. There are a few other wildcats like the 375 raptor and maybe the new 338 federal knockoff that Q is calling the 8.6 creedmoor that look promising. But none of those are part of this conversation.

Most good subsonic rounds have 1 thing in common. They were once a smaller volume case necked up. Not changing the case geometry and really only changing the powder and projectile seems to get poor results

Thr problem with Subsonic anything is your effective killing range is greatly reduced. We use a lot of subsonic loads because we can't have suppressors. We load the first round or two, depending on distance, as Subs, the rest are full velocity loads for shots at animals that are leaving. If we could use suppressors I would use regular loads from the first shot on..

Unless your taking only head shots, use the specialized low velocity expanding bullets designed for it. Sierra matchkings in the body don't anchor pigs.

I'm going to try this using a R700 20" 1:10 308 220 gr smk with Shooters world buffalo powder.

With 308 subs, one thing you have to keep in mind is powder choice. You need to select a powder that will give you a low enough velocity, yet eats up enough case volume to prevent detonation in the case. This was a problem when I would reload light bullet subsonic in 300 blk. When loading heavy 220 bullets you could use AA1680. While AA1680 wasn't very voluminous and didn't eat up much case volume, the big 220gr bullet would. Loading a 125gr bullet you had to use a more voluminous powder like like Trail Boss to eat up case capacity and avoid detonation. This problem can be compounded with the 308's greater case capacity. In my mind, the 300blk is a better choice for subsonic 30's but a 308 can do it if you already have the setup.

Another thing to think about is trying to find a bullet that is meant to expand at lower velocities. I know Hornady was making a sub-x bullet, but idk if they have ever sold the bullets individually

Yeah I have about gave up on this due to powder availability. Got the new 8.6 blk and enjoying it

A 308 or 300 blk is the exact same thing when it leaves the barrel. A 30 cal bullet going 1050 fps.

A 300 blk was designed to load without the risks associated with larger cases like the 308. But, it can be done and I highly recommend it!

Another thing to think about is trying to find a bullet that is meant to expand at lower velocities. I know Hornady was making a sub-x bullet, but idk if they have ever sold the bullets individually
Sub-X bullets are available online now. I bought a couple boxes the other day. 190 grain. I wish they would make a heavier bullet, but it will work.

On a similar note, I also found the .458 cal Sub-X. 410 grains. I loaded 100 of them for my 45-70 with 14.5 gr of Unique. Jeez, that thing is quite!

I can't wait to smack a pig with that bullet.

Yeah I have about gave up on this due to powder availability. Got the new 8.6 blk and enjoying it
There are plenty of very good powders available for subsonic 300 blk. IMR 4457 and H110 are readily available at Brownells and MidwayUSA last I checked.

I get very accurate subsonic loads in 300 blk with 190, 208, 220 and 240 grain bullets with both IMR 4227 and H110. Happy to share data for 16" and 10.5" barrels as it is different by about .5 gr.

Buffalo Rifle is a new one I'm trying out that I believe will work well in a 308 due to position insensitivity and good bulk, similar to Trail Boss. They have been good about responding to my emails about loads not on their website. Just ask them "is it safe to load this at reduced charge for subsonic 308 rounds?" They may not give you specific load data, but it's worth a shot.