223 for hogs

8712AF28-23F6-43CB-844E-9BD55A7ABB33.jpeg
Hogs aren't magical bullet resistant beasts. I've killed over 30 of them on my place with calibers from 5.7x28 to .450bushmaster. .223 & .450bush are my go to as is the Ar-15 platform. This one was DRT with the .450 using the Hornady factory load.

I use Hornady 75 gr BTHP. While our problems aren't as bad as TX we have more than our share. We normally are in the 100 yard range or less and many times they get out to 200. We use the behind the ear placement on the first one, they are pretty much running all over after the first shot and you have to accept your lead errors after that. Some require more than 1 round but most don't. I have seen rounds make pass through long ways on up to 150# no problem. I don't find them that bullet resistant either.

To be clear, the bullet resistance is only on the boars, and particularly the very large ones.

The "shield" runs from the back of the shoulder, around the chest to the rear of the offside shoulders. It's made of very tough cartilage and on large boars can easily be over 3" thick at it's thickest point.

The shield will very much stop a lot of bullets especially if the shots are not at close range and often minimize penetration on others.

Avoid hitting it if you can and most calibers will do fine but unless you're taking head shots I would not recommend any sort of FBJ or other non expanding bullet as you'll end up losing a lot of them.

Between Mario and I we killed four this week with the AR, the biggest two around 200lbs sows and then I killed a huge boar that soaked up a running away shot from the .375 Ruger with 250gr GMX that hit him halfway between his anus and nut sack and stopped in his chest. It slowed him down enough I thought he'd fall with each new step but finally at about 450 I put another as he started to angle ever so slightly right through the mid rib and into the spine between his shoulders that planted him stone dead.

This was a very large boar around 500lbs measuring 52" from nose to the base of his tail. Unfortunately one of his 4" plus cutters was broken off so what could have been a monster trophy ended up coyote bait except for the loins and tenderloins.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.