.308 for Hogs

My biggest boar was 225lbs that I killed in Texas. It didn't stink and the meat tasted like store bought pork. The only difference was the meat on the boar was tough. I have eaten numerous boars in the 150 lb range that were killed in GA around peanut fields that tasted like store bought pork and were just as tender. Everyone of them including the one killed in Tx were killed in the winter and never had time to spoil before being gutted and put on ice. I would think diet would have allot to do with the actual meat stinking and having a bad flavor, kind of like the difference between a spring bear and a fall bear that has been eating fish all summer.

Hello, I'll be heading to Texas next month to shoot hogs, was told 100yd shots usually. Was planning on using 168gr PSP rounds. Would you suggest a semi, or a bolt gun, and why? Curious on answers. Benefits of either, negatives as well. Thanks
SEMI AUTO hands down.Brother I live in TX on the Gulf Coast right smack dab in the middle of these Beasts.. I have been hunting these 4 footed destruction artists 45 years.Started with dogs,then with traps and dogs and guns, then just dogs and knives.Then witha HP Convergent Hog Call..Dam it works great.. My son is lining up a hunt out of a Helicopter ..I cant wait.
Get a semi Auto like a 350 Legend or 300 Black Out in an AR15 in 6.8 SPC, or 300 Black Out, 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC or 450 Bushmaster would be great..Any of these would be good. bolt action is way to sow if you get in to a pack of them which is probably what will happen.
Bring you are AR and a couple of High Capacity Mags and cut loose.. Good Luck

My experience is once they get sexually active and are running with girls the only way to get away from the smell is to make spicy sausage.

I hate to waste anything edible but with so many hogs to kill I can't pick them all up anyhow so the old boars just get left for us to come back and shoot coyotes off of at night.
when a big boar gets stirred up that meat will stink so bad it will run you out of the kitchen..LOL Or a SOW in Heat is just as bad or worse..If you can shoot a big boar without him getting stirred up the meat will usually taste okay.But a sow in estrus will be loud and Funky now matter what you do.

Hello, I'll be heading to Texas next month to shoot hogs, was told 100yd shots usually. Was planning on using 168gr PSP rounds. Would you suggest a semi, or a bolt gun, and why? Curious on answers. Benefits of either, negatives as well. Thanks
Depending on where you are when shooting starts..A AR15 or AR10 on a TRIPOD would really be a nice choice.

when a big boar gets stirred up that meat will stink so bad it will run you out of the kitchen..LOL Or a SOW in Heat is just as bad or worse..If you can shoot a big boar without him getting stirred up the meat will usually taste okay.But a sow in estrus will be loud and Funky now matter what you do.
I've killed literal truckloads of mature and really old boars and found that once they are sexually mature if there's girls to be found at all with or even near them that testosterone smell gets so pervasive no matter how good the meat tastes the odor is so offputting to most folks they simply won't touch it much less eat it. The only exception to that I've found is as I said, turning it into spicy sausage.

Sometimes I'll upwards of a hundred per month between my places and the neighbors places I patrol so I've gotten a lot pickier about what I'm going pick up than I was back in my starving college days.

I used to haul as many to town as I could to give away but find most folks too lazy to day to even field dress one much less process it. I then started taking them to the local processor and would then donate it to charity until my processing bill started exceeding 12k a year which. I had to cut back so I'm only taking those I consider to be "premium" wild boar out of the field and letting the coyotes and varmints have the rest.

It's morally repugnant to me to leave good meat in the field but this isn't about hunting any more, it's just extermination for the most part.

Honestly having eaten a whole lot of them over the years I'd say the best eating are a big ole fat pregnant sow just before she's due.

Also the most effective target for controlling the population.
That's the best I've had, too. Gutting was no fun, but I was able to render a ton of clean lard from the belly fat. I'm getting low on the lard, now. It's time to find another suckling or pregnant sow.

I've killed literal truckloads of mature and really old boars and found that once they are sexually mature if there's girls to be found at all with or even near them that testosterone smell gets so pervasive no matter how good the meat tastes the odor is so offputting to most folks they simply won't touch it much less eat it. The only exception to that I've found is as I said, turning it into spicy sausage.

Sometimes I'll upwards of a hundred per month between my places and the neighbors places I patrol so I've gotten a lot pickier about what I'm going pick up than I was back in my starving college days.

I used to haul as many to town as I could to give away but find most folks too lazy to day to even field dress one much less process it. I then started taking them to the local processor and would then donate it to charity until my processing bill started exceeding 12k a year which. I had to cut back so I'm only taking those I consider to be "premium" wild boar out of the field and letting the coyotes and varmints have the rest.

It's morally repugnant to me to leave good meat in the field but this isn't about hunting any more, it's just extermination for the most part.
Exactly..I did pretty much the same thing since 1977.I went from begging for a place to hunt them with my dogs to getting paid to hunt them to paid to Eradicate them to just shoot them when I feel like it.
I agree..some people are just too lazy to skin and cut up one.I once gave a man 5 hogs to process and give me the 5th one of his choosing. Hr had been asking for pork me for months..When I showed up with 5 gutted hogs he made all sorts of excuses.After that I just quit taking them to people.I justb try to thin them out but I really dont make a Dent they reproduce so fast.

Exactly..I did pretty much the same thing since 1977.I went from begging for a place to hunt them with my dogs to getting paid to hunt them to paid to Eradicate them to just shoot them when I feel like it.
I agree..some people are just too lazy to skin and cut up one.I once gave a man 5 hogs to process and give me the 5th one of his choosing. Hr had been asking for pork me for months..When I showed up with 5 gutted hogs he made all sorts of excuses.After that I just quit taking them to people.I justb try to thin them out but I really dont make a Dent they reproduce so fast.
I have a buddy, a black guy who's pretty colorful to say the least. He's an ex con, ex banger that found Jesus in Prison. He's a professional cook who's worked for some of the best barbecue joints in the state over the years and caters events on weekends.

Now he's a bit nuts and not the easiest guy to deal with for several reasons but he's a really good guy at heart. He will take a pig from me anytime and can any of them into an amazing meal.

Years ago I taught him how to cook them in the ground so I've been his best friend ever since. He's taken as many as five at a time, does all the work himself and will just freeze what he can't use immediately and them use it to cater events or just haul it up to his family in Wichita Falls area.

Of course, he's making some ridiculous money off of me but I don't mind, I admire his work ethic and how he came to be such a good man coming from such a horrible background.

Here in Alabama I generally go with 2 different extremes, AR15 or my Marlin 45/70 guide gun. In some of the large pastures where we have bait stations you are very likely to get several shots off so the ar15 works great. In some of the smaller less open areas I like to hit them with something bigger. And my 45/70 is just a ton of fun to shoot and perfect in the 100 yard range with iron sites.

SEMI AUTO hands down.Brother I live in TX on the Gulf Coast right smack dab in the middle of these Beasts.. I have been hunting these 4 footed destruction artists 45 years.Started with dogs,then with traps and dogs and guns, then just dogs and knives.Then witha HP Convergent Hog Call..Dam it works great.. My son is lining up a hunt out of a Helicopter ..I cant wait.
Get a semi Auto like a 350 Legend or 300 Black Out in an AR15 in 6.8 SPC, or 300 Black Out, 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC or 450 Bushmaster would be great..Any of these would be good. bolt action is way to sow if you get in to a pack of them which is probably what will happen.
Bring you are AR and a couple of High Capacity Mags and cut loose.. Good Luck
Nice, always wanted to shank a hog, gotta be intense! And as far as mags, do not know "high capacity" you speak of, only normal mags 👍🏻😂

Nice, always wanted to shank a hog, gotta be intense! And as far as mags, do not know "high capacity" you speak of, only normal mags 👍🏻😂
It get really intense if you are hunting them with dogs. Lots of actions and it will definitely challenge your shooting ability. The smaller hogs especially can really bob and weave with a couple dogs on their tail LOL.