.308 for Hogs

I use a semi in South Texas. They scatter after first round.
Hogs scatter after the first shot. An AR is most helpful for seconds and thirds......

Hogs dont hold still long at all, like a bunch of stirred up fire ants. The semi auto might get you another hog if lucky
As a matter of full disclosure, 18" AR15 in 6.5 Grendel is what I use when I'm looking for trouble; 18" AR10 in .308 when I'm sniping from the blind.

308 will work great just put it between their ear hole and the point of the shoulder. Don't shoot em like a deer behind the shoulder. And don't wait for them to be perfect broadside and not moving, they never stop moving.
Behind the shoulder works fine. Trust me. This one ran only 30 yds.

Attachments

• 20211105_092915.jpg
    20211105_092915.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
I've used an AR-10, lever guns and bolt guns. I just don't like the AR feel and I've never felt handicapped not using it. Yes, the follow up shots can be a bit quicker, but not very often those circumstances existed for me.

You may get off multiple shots with an AR15 but doubtful with an AR10 in 308.
I'd go with an AR10 or LR308 rather than the AR15. I kill a lot of pigs here in Texas and have used both. Most of the time unless you shoot them in the ear, your pig is going to run quite a ways after a 5.56/.223 shot. They'll likely die but you may never find it. A couple of years ago I put together an LR308 (the one in my avatar photo to the left) specifically for hogs and it's been a great rifle. The Severe Duty muzzle break and full length gas system makes it shoot like an AR15; no appreciable recoil. I just ordered a 30 caliber suppressor for it and will swap out the muzzle break once it comes in. I've been shooting 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullets but am going to work up a load for some Hammers and see if I can more velocity than I'm getting with the Barnes.

I'd go with an AR10 or LR308 rather than the AR15. I kill a lot of pigs here in Texas and have used both. Most of the time unless you shoot them in the ear, your pig is going to run quite a ways after a 5.56/.223 shot. They'll likely die but you may never find it. A couple of years ago I put together an LR308 (the one in my avatar photo to the left) specifically for hogs and it's been a great rifle. The Severe Duty muzzle break and full length gas system makes it shoot like an AR15; no appreciable recoil. I just ordered a 30 caliber suppressor for it and will swap out the muzzle break once it comes in. I've been shooting 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullets but am going to work up a load for some Hammers and see if I can more velocity than I'm getting with the Barnes.
yep x 10

Look at the picture for my profile, that is just 1 load of Texas hogs from 3 different feed pens, 1 night, 2 shooters, 38 total hogs using thermals, 6.5 Grendel - 97 GR Absolute Hammer and 6.5 Needmore - Si 130 GR BTHP placed up front somewhere will take em down. If the guys you're hunting with know what they are doing multiple kills with an AR of any kind are possible, get a thermal, they are much more active at night. If hunting open pastures and you know how far to lead them its very possible to get 2 or more down. Panel pens are much more confusing for the little piggies, keep your reticle on the exit ha ha.
I take a helicopter hog hunt once a year the Grendel and the Hammer combo is a massacre machine compared to any other weapon other than 000 Buck Shot.

Man all them hogs was sure stupid to let you fix dinner for them.🙂
That was 2 years ago, they don't forget, we haven't been able to get them to gang up in the feeders on that farm since that night. We've had some good shots on other ranches but nothing close to that night. It was the perfect world for sure.

Semi and .308 head shots only for me here in FL. I don't like chasing a hog 30 yds+ on my hands and knees through the brush at night and discovering it's fighting mad. I like them falling in their tracks and only tracking them a few inches. My buddy got rid of his 223s because too many hogs ran away. I use a 308 because that was the only AR-10 available years and years ago. Now I would probably get a lighter weight 6mm ARC, Grendal, etc in an AR-15.

One disadvantage not discussed so far is the noise of the bolt action chambering a round chasing hogs away. The clank, clank, clank of a bolt after the first shot keeps hogs from returning. They don't hear the semi clambering another round and I believe associate the shot with the sound of thunder and often return for more shots. I routinely get several hogs returning to the blind using a semi. The dead hog laying there is just ignored by them.

A couple weeks ago we got into a herd of about 30 pigs. I dropped these two little boars with a bolt action 30 Nosler, I could have taken a third pig pretty easily but didn't want to be greedy. My hunting buddy dropped three pigs from the same herd with his bolt action 270. The 270 required follow up shots on two of his animals. The 30 dropped them where they were.

696F347B-C24F-44AF-AA81-F7113B179CC8.jpeg

168 PSP's will work just fine. Stick it in the neck won't be going anywhere. Hammers are my fav (YES I'M BIAS)!
I wouldn't buy an AR10, .308 if you don't have.
Don't know if place going allows multi-hog shots (yes, some are weary of that). If so, DON'T zoom in. Keep zoom out to find runners.
Well not an AR10 per se, more like an 18" M1A in Sage stock, have an IR laser and head mounted NVG for night. It's a private hunt, on private land, so was told kill as many as you can lol

I'm heading to SC in a few weeks for a hog hunt. Originally, I intended to use my 458SOCOM and the Barnes 300TTSX which shoots really well in my rifle. But .... after talking to the outfitter I decided I wanted a flatter shooting cartridge. I set up a .308Win bolt gun with a picatinny rail and QD rings. I've got a Pulsar Thermion scope for hunting after dark and a 4-14x Leupold with an illuminated reticle for the daytime. They seem to hold zero pretty well when switching back and forth. I can easily make hits at 400yds with the Leupold.

I settled on the Barnes 130TTSX because it shoots flat and minimizes recoil. The thermal has rather short eye relief which is what interested me in lighter bullets. A mono bullet (.308) in any weight should be enough for just about any size hog if shot placement is good. I was also experimenting with the 124gr Hammer which I was shooting at 3,200 ft/sec. It would be another good choice for my application.
Buddy is working on thermal, otherwise I have a PVS27 I can mount on my bolt gun, have an IR laser on my semi, and a head mounted PVS14 so nights are covered , have a good hunt