.308 for Hogs

Will be in Fort Worth for a knife show on 18-19, then my buddy says he's 2.5 hours south,?, so wherever that is lol. Plan on doing as much carnage as I can, I know they're a nuisance, I just can't see paying to shoot'em, it's like coming to NY to kill rats hahahahaha
I'm guessing the Austin area. Maybe west of there.
Good country for hunting. Hilly, brush country. Sometimes your in large open fields, but often not. Really depends on how far west of I-35 you go.
Let us know how the hunt goes.

I'm guessing the Austin area. Maybe west of there.
Good country for hunting. Hilly, brush country. Sometimes your in large open fields, but often not. Really depends on how far west of I-35 you go.
Let us know how the hunt goes.
Thanks a lot, he has 100 acres or so of farmland, not sure how it's broken up, feeders and such, it'll be fun for sure.

Hello, I'll be heading to Texas next month to shoot hogs, was told 100yd shots usually. Was planning on using 168gr PSP rounds. Would you suggest a semi, or a bolt gun, and why? Curious on answers. Benefits of either, negatives as well. Thanks
Whatever you have and can shoot well. As stated they scatter on the first shot so if you want to take follow up's an accurate semi auto is going to be your best friend. Keep in mind they run a whole lot faster than you think too so plan on a good lead for those followups as the .308 isn't a speed burner.

Your desired POI is the midpoint between the ear and point of shoulder. Don't shoot big hogs in the shoulder or it may require more follow up shots than you can stomach to "quiet them".

Good luck.

Whatever you have and can shoot well. As stated they scatter on the first shot so if you want to take follow up's an accurate semi auto is going to be your best friend. Keep in mind they run a whole lot faster than you think too so plan on a good lead for those followups as the .308 isn't a speed burner.

Your desired POI is the midpoint between the ear and point of shoulder. Don't shoot big hogs in the shoulder or it may require more follow up shots than you can stomach to "quiet them".

Good luck.
Thank you, that's the sweet spot I'm told, I've only hunted whitetail in the northeast as far as big game, so it'll be an adventure for sure, thanks for advice

Thank you, that's the sweet spot I'm told, I've only hunted whitetail in the northeast as far as big game, so it'll be an adventure for sure, thanks for advice
After shooting a few thousand of them I promise you it works every time if you can put it there as long as you can get 4" of penetration on even the biggest of boars.

Well I have heard a rumor that everything is BIGGER in Texas lol, guess I'll find out
Next time I speak with him I'll ask 👍🏻
ITS TRUE! 😎

Also, you can kill em here anytime. Make sure you have some good lighting, thermal, or NV. They generally move better at night. Especially if they have been hunted hard.

My son-in-law has a hog hunting business in TX (Gulf Coast area not too far from Port Lavaca). He does night / suppressed hunts. His favorite rifle is his AR10. The AR15 with the right bullet and hit works fine. I dropped one on the first shot the last time I was home. Distance was 85 yards, she was broad side to me, I shot her right behind the shoulder and she just folded up on her legs. I used an AR15. My follow up shots with the running hogs weren't as pretty as what you see on YouTube :) My preference is to use a bolt gun but now that I've seen how it works I'll take an AR10 or AR15.

ITS TRUE! 😎

Also, you can kill em here anytime. Make sure you have some good lighting, thermal, or NV. They generally move better at night. Especially if they have been hunted hard.
Thanks again, I do have a PVS14 head mounted and IR laser on semi, have a PVS 27 for the bolt gun, IR lights as well, he was gonna bring a friends thermal set up as well. Be nice to use some of this equipment I've bought over the years

My son-in-law has a hog hunting business in TX (Gulf Coast area not too far from Port Lavaca). He does night / suppressed hunts. His favorite rifle is his AR10. The AR15 with the right bullet and hit works fine. I dropped one on the first shot the last time I was home at 85 yards with an AR15. My follow up shots with the running hogs weren't as pretty as what you see on YouTube :) My preference is to use a bolt gun but now that I've seen how it works I'll take an AR
I'm out of a state that frowns on cans so that option is out, wish It weren't , I'll work with what I have, thanks👍🏻

I'm out of a state that frowns on cans so that option is out, wish It weren't , I'll work with what I have, thanks👍🏻
He shoots full power loads. The can makes it more quiet but but not that quiet. It'll be fine without. As many have said, the point of the shoulder and up to the ear drops them. I shot behind the shoulder out of habit. She dropped but she also squealed until the "be quiet round" hit.

I dropped this boar with a 6.5 Creed to the shoulder (visible in the photo) but it sure wasn't dead. I put 3 9mm bullets in his head at point blank range and he continued to kick for another minute or two. These things are built like tanks.

Boar Hog.jpg