300 Win Mag or 700mm Magnum?

kydeerhunter1203

Hello,

I need informative opinions concerning a rifle build. Im looking to build a long range rifle I would like to start with one of the guns that i currently own. I have a new Savage SS 116 in 300 win mag and I also have a new Remington 700 CDL in 7 mm Mag. I would opinions on which gun you think would be the best option. Also, I would like to know opinions on which custom barrel maker would be the best choice.

Thank you

Last edited:
Parts are easy to get for the 700 as far as stocks, triggers bottom metal,also there is is lots of options as far as manufacturers for components. most of your custom actions have a 700 footprint. I have never built off of a savage so I couldn't say as far available parts for them. As far as barrels go I use bartlien barrels for all my builds and they have all shot really good.

The 700 mm will be awfully heavy to tote around the mountain....

But seriously: if you want to do it yourself, strip the Savage and go for it. The Remington will require more professional tools or professional assistance, unless you opt for the several "remage" prefit barrel options now available. Some folks hate the barrelnut. I'm kinda partial to it, and have done several savages with another currently in pieces on my bench in the process of becoming a practice rifle in 260 rem. The hunting guns are in 6.5/284 and a pair of 280 ackleys.

The 700 mm will be awfully heavy to tote around the mountain....

But seriously: if you want to do it yourself, strip the Savage and go for it. The Remington will require more professional tools or professional assistance, unless you opt for the several "remage" prefit barrel options now available. Some folks hate the barrelnut. I'm kinda partial to it, and have done several savages with another currently in pieces on my bench in the process of becoming a practice rifle in 260 rem. The hunting guns are in 6.5/284 and a pair of 280 ackleys.
Thank for your input I like them both i'm not partial to a name brand I've had gun that shot good and bad in both

the secret service use the 7 as a sniper, and the mil use the 300 as a sniper. either will work for a hunting rifle.

Parts are easy to get for the 700 as far as stocks, triggers bottom metal,also there is is lots of options as far as manufacturers for components. most of your custom actions have a 700 footprint. I have never built off of a savage so I couldn't say as far available parts for them. As far as barrels go I use bartlien barrels for all my builds and they have all shot really good.

I'd say go with the 300 win. Mine is built off a savage and it's great. Nothing against the 7mm but the .300 is a staple and very capable of taking game at long range.
I've had barrels by ERShaw, Hart, proof, and bartlien. All have been good. I have never used a Shaw on anything built for real long range but my fathers Shaw 6.5 is very accurate at distance. I would contact Kevin rayhill he is very good with savages and could point you in the right direction.

I'd say go with the 300 win. Mine is built off a savage and it's great. Nothing against the 7mm but the .300 is a staple and very capable of taking game at long range.
I've had barrels by ERShaw, Hart, proof, and bartlien. All have been good. I have never used a Shaw on anything built for real long range but my fathers Shaw 6.5 is very accurate at distance. I would contact Kevin rayhill he is very good with savages and could point you in the right direction.
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will try to get in contact Mr rayhill thanks again

Both cartridges are what I am considering and here's my simple breakdown. For leaning more towards target and steel shooting I'd go with the 7mm rem mag. Leaning more towards elk hunting then I'd go 300 win mag. This is a very simplistic guideline that isn't set in stone.

As someone who owns both, and has done extensive loading and testing on both cartridges, go with the 7mm RemMag, but build it with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel for the 195 Bergers. And if you're building off of them, go with the 700. Much easier to find parts for.

Hello,

I need informative opinions concerning a rifle build. Im looking to build a long range rifle I would like to start with one of the guns that i currently own. I have a new Savage SS 116 in 300 win mag and I also have a new Remington 700 CDL in 7 mm Mag. I would opinions on which gun you think would be the best option. Also, I would like to know opinions on which custom barrel maker would be the best choice.

Thank you

Will this be fore hunting? How big of game?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.