300 Win Mag or 700mm Magnum?

Either action will do the job. The 700 will have a near endless variety of options where the savage is limited. The savage action is also a tad heavier.

I've been a bartein fan myself but have a Muller in 65 creed that's been great.

Looking to do a 700 - proof witb a carbon stock in 300 wm as soon as the reamer and all parts are gathered.

Hello,

I need informative opinions concerning a rifle build. Im looking to build a long range rifle I would like to start with one of the guns that i currently own. I have a new Savage SS 116 in 300 win mag and I also have a new Remington 700 CDL in 7 mm Mag. I would opinions on which gun you think would be the best option. Also, I would like to know opinions on which custom barrel maker would be the best choice.

Thank you

Just curious about what you are going to use this build for? My personal preference is the 7mm RemMag, however I am also recoil conscious. There's really no right answer here, just opinions and.......they are many!!

Either action will do the job. The 700 will have a near endless variety of options where the savage is limited. The savage action is also a tad heavier.

I've been a bartein fan myself but have a Muller in 65 creed that's been great.

Looking to do a 700 - proof witb a carbon stock in 300 wm as soon as the reamer and all parts are gathered.
Will this be fore hunting? How big of game?
Target mostly

Target mostly

Then I'd lean on a 700 in 7rm with a 180 berger, eld or similar since you're converting a magnum action.

If target shooting out to 1k is the only thing you want to do I think there's better choices for less recoil and better barrel life.

I'd consider a short action 6 or 6.5 shooting a high bc bullet. Look up the ballastics on a 6mm 115 berger or 65 140isb grain high bc bullet and they're good for 1k with relative ease. When started at 2600 give or take they'll get the job done.

For near endless barrel life and ease of shooting the 6 dasher or 6x47 lapua would be worth looking into.

I'd love to do something like this myself but went the compromise route with a 22 inch Axiom / Muller barreled action in 65 Creed. It would be good for fun shoots to 1k and deer / hog hunting at reasonable ranges.

You could sell one of the two listed to help fund a new build or just start from scratch. Could be a fun project.

Last edited:
Hello,

I need informative opinions concerning a rifle build. Im looking to build a long range rifle I would like to start with one of the guns that i currently own. I have a new Savage SS 116 in 300 win mag and I also have a new Remington 700 CDL in 7 mm Mag. I would opinions on which gun you think would be the best option. Also, I would like to know opinions on which custom barrel maker would be the best choice.

Thank you

I just want to clarify - you are asking about both the donor rifle and the caliber right? Or are you just asking which donor rifle to use?

Then I'd lean on a 700 in 7rm with a 180 berger, eld or similar since you're converting a magnum action.

If target shooting out to 1k is the only thing you want to do I think there's better choices for less recoil and better barrel life.

I'd consider a short action 6 or 6.5 shooting a high bc bullet. Look up the ballastics on a 6mm 115 berger or 65 140isb grain high bc bullet and they're good for 1k with relative ease. When started at 2600 give or take they'll get the job done.

For near endless barrel life and ease of shooting the 6 dasher or 6x47 lapua would be worth looking into.

I'd love to do something like this myself but went the compromise route with a 22 inch Axiom / Muller barreled action in 65 Creed. It would be good for fun shoots to 1k and deer / hog hunting at reasonable ranges.

You could sell one of the two listed to help fund a new build or just start from scratch. Could be a fun project.
I already have a 6.5 creed I love it I was looking to build one of these because I wont to push it a little farther out think for you reply

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.