300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag

I've had 4 ea 338 win Mags, a 300 Win Mag and a couple 300 Weatherby Mag's. My favorite is the 300 Weatherby 700 Classic. I get 1/2 MOA groups with 200 grain partitions and a case full of RE 26.
The 300 Win Mag is almost as fast, again with 200 grain partitions and RE26 ~~~ 3-4 MOA.

The 338's I've had were two 700's and two 70's. I mainly **** 250 grain partitions in them. One of the 338's was a push feed 70. The three push feeds were the most accurate. The controlled feed 338 still shot pretty well, it shot well enough for anything I'd want to shoot with the 338.

I don't think I'll have another 338 since the 300's do so well.

Honestly, those 700 Classic 300 Weatherby's are great!

More of my opinion about .280AI:

- Out performs the 300 WM at distance.
- Easy on the shoulder while carrying and shooting.
- Easy on powder with many great bullet choices.
- Very near 7mm Mag performance without the kick, spot hits and quick follow up shots if needed.
- 4 or 5 rounds in the magazine vs 3.
- No feeding issues compared to short mags.
- Very efficient cartridge.

It will be my next build unless a 7PRC comes around soon…

Ok I will chime in, I grew up with my dad shooting a 338 win mag and I watched everything he shot collapse. I started out shooting a 3006, then a 7mm mag and after some bad experiences on big black bears, I also bought a 338 win mag. It was great until Remington came out with the 338 RUM, now I have a gun that excels at long range and hits extremely hard. I don't like tracking big bull elk and if I do my part, I don't have to. That being said, I also love my 300 RUM. The 300 Win is a great cartridge and has the advantage for longer range shots over the 338 Win, but up close and personal, I would always choose the 338 win. Just me, but I hunt where things might want to eat or chomp on me.

Recent Posts