300 Win Mag or 700mm Magnum?

Is there a reason you have narrowed it down to those two cartridges? For paper punching either of the ones you have listed will work. I would choose a 7 RM since it has a little less recoil.

Honestly if you are building a custom I would look at a different round for paper punching and target work. 6.5 saum, 6.5 PRC, 7mm wsm. Its not that expensive to change the bolt face either - so 6.5x284 280 AI etc should all be considered. Just don't build an effing creedmoor! Lol

Is there a reason you have narrowed it down to those two cartridges? For paper punching either of the ones you have listed will work. I would choose a 7 RM since it has a little less recoil.

Honestly if you are building a custom I would look at a different round for paper punching and target work. 6.5 saum, 6.5 PRC, 7mm wsm. Its not that expensive to change the bolt face either - so 6.5x284 280 AI etc should all be considered. Just don't build an effing creedmoor! Lol

The only reason I was considering both these guns to start my build is due to having both purchased when Gander Mtn was going out of business @ 40% off! I haven't done anything with them since purchasing so I considering, with the low cost, it wouldn't be so bad to scrap a new barrel, etc. and build from action up.

Understood. Then I'd build off of the 700 or a custom action a fast 7 with the appropriate throat and twist for a 180-195.

I'd strongly consider the 7rm with 180s. Anything bigger is going to be harder than necessary on the barrel.

I, also, have a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm rum that I forgot about owning. What are your thoughts on this caliber. Would this be the best alternative since I have this set back JIC I ever get drawn for an Elk Hunt in Ky which does not seem to ever gonna happen. lol

The only reason I was considering both these guns to start my build is due to having both purchased when Gander Mtn was going out of business @ 40% off! I haven't done anything with them since purchasing so I considering, with the low cost, it wouldn't be so bad to scrap a new barrel, etc. and build from action up.
I guess what I am saying is that there are a lot of cartridges that can use that action and bolt face. If you are going to buy a new barrel you can get it reamed out to whatever caliber/cartridge you want. There is no additional cost to switch to a 6.5 PRC etc.

I, also, have a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm rum that I forgot about owning. What are your thoughts on this caliber. Would this be the best alternative since I have this set back JIC I ever get drawn for an Elk Hunt in Ky which does not seem to ever gonna happen. lol
7mm RUM = waste of a barrel if you ask me... 500-600 rounds of accurate barrel life.

Rebarrel it to .28 Nosler with a 26" 1:8 twist Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, only use it for hunting, and occasional target, and you got a good long-lasting rifle that's light enough to pack-around and hunt with, but LR capable.

Because the .28 Nosler is also based off a shortened RUM cartridge, no mods are needed to make this cartridge work in a rifle that was previously a RUM cartridge.

I guess what I am saying is that there are a lot of cartridges that can use that action and bolt face. If you are going to buy a new barrel you can get it reamed out to whatever caliber/cartridge you want. There is no additional cost to switch to a 6.5 PRC etc.
Yeah, but why would you ruin a perfectly good 700 with such a hipster sodomite cartridge...?

I own a 7 Rem Mag and love it. I haven't owned a 300 or any 30 caliber rifles in a long time. I like the 7mm ballistics over the 30 cal. I switched to 7mm calibers along time ago and haven't found the need to go back to a 30 cal.

Also you will use more powder on the 300 and have more recoil, that's if you are sensitive to that.

I recomend that before you scrap anything, try them both out and then you decide with what build to go with.

Like someone mentioned before. Just an opinion and there's a lot of them.

Best regards

7mm RUM = waste of a barrel if you ask me... 500-600 rounds of accurate barrel life.

Rebarrel it to .28 Nosler with a 26" 1:8 twist Proof Research carbon fiber barrel, only use it for hunting, and occasional target, and you got a good long-lasting rifle that's light enough to pack-around and hunt with, but LR capable.

Because the .28 Nosler is also based off a shortened RUM cartridge, no mods are needed to make this cartridge work in a rifle that was previously a RUM cartridge.
I will check into that I don't know a lot about the 28 Nosler . But your right about the 7 mm rum that why I don't shoot it a lot

Were it me, I'd build a 7RM with a throat designed to load a 180 out as long as possible. At 2950 which is attainable it stays supersonic to 1750 at sea level. The 195 would stretch you out to 1850 and a little less wind drift if you could get it to 2800.

You could go with more horse power such as a 28 nos or 7-300wm but at a cost of barrel life and not a lot of gain imo for target work.

You should call Robert at APR, he's done some extensive work with 7-300 Imp and 180-195's. Even if you don't want to go with that round he can tell you what the 7 is capable of at a mile.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.