300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag

I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
Im looking at Either a 300 Win Mag or a 338 Win Mag
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
Any advice would be welcome
I have both...338 for Griz country but may be overkill with some good bullets today....more recoil....makes me feel better in Big Bear country...

Having both these guns, they each have their place... Looking at the 338 WM, to get to a high enough bc bullets, the case runs out of capacity and therefore speed. The 300 WM would be better suited for your needs. I prefer to shoot a 28 nosler at longer ranges though...195 gr. berger at 3000 plus fps is money out to 1200, 1300 yards...pick what you can get components for!!!

Everyone makes brass for 300 win mag too…can't say that about the .338 or pretty much any other .30 caliber magnum. It's seriously such a hard choice to find fault with. Short neck bla bla bla belts are superfluous bla bla bla…I don't have an especially long neck, I wear a belt, and neither of these things are a problem for me getting the job done! 🤣🤣🤣

The .300 win willl never die. Yes there's a bunch of newer cartridges that perform admirably…we'll see if they stand the test of time. That .300 Winnie isn't going anywhere or moving over for them tho AND even small rural hardware stores have Winchester super x 300 win mag…try finding 6.5 PRC or .300 RUM in a really small town in the middle of nowhere if you need it

300 win would get my vote. But why not even look into some of the 7's. 7 Rem mag would fit your bill perfectly and it has less recoil than a 300. Since you don't have any large predators to contend with, I think something in the .284 flavor might actually make you happier. Check out Nathan Foster and his terminal ballistic research if you haven't already. He's from your neck of the woods too

300 Win Mag in my estimation would be the better of the two,all though it sounds like what you have all ready should cover what you need.Then again when you get an itch for something different,you have to scratch it.

Of the cartridges you mentioned I would go with 300 win mag. I have owned both, heck I have had at least 6 different 338 win mags. But I favor the 300 Weatherby over the 300 win mag for no good reason other than that's what I want. And if I decide I want a larger caliber I've gone to a 338/06 and a 35 Whelan, neither of which are great beyond about 300 yards.

I would go with the 300 wim mag. I have owned a 338 wm. I could never get it to shoot under 1.5 moa. My 300 wm rifles are much easier therefore less costly to get under 1 moa.

IMy 338 wm was a custom rifle I saved my pennies for when I was in high school. Back when we had guns in our gun racks in the school parking lot. And some schools had rifle teams.

I am looking at getting another Bang Stick for open country long range carry gun
Im looking at Either a 300 Win Mag or a 338 Win Mag
I have read articles on both calibers can I have people's real life pros and cons they have found
Living in New Zealand alot of the country hunted if not almost straight up is straight down
Main goto gun is 260 rem and I have a heavy barrel 6.5x68 that I use as my truck gun I also reload
Any advice would be welcome
I would look at the 33 Nosler, not that I hate belts, I dont. I am starting one for a intermediate range brown bear country rifle with a 160 or 185 gr ttsx. Should be around 3000-3200 fps so pretty flat to 600-700 yards. Decent ballistics. Only reason am switching from a 300 wm to 33 Nosler is..... I can. The 300 wm has been great but the 33 Nos has a better case and is kinda a medium sized case for a 33 caliber. The case has no belt, a steeper shoulder, a longer neck and the case length is shorter/fatter making more room for a long bullet in a standard mag length action. So the sum of all made me want to try it. I will get a 9T barrel incase I want to shoot a heavier bullet, I would do that for any 30 or 33 cal, a 9T. But of the 2 you mentioned, I would say to run the ballistics with whatever bullet you are considering and see what performs better. Adding bullet weight adds energy and usually better bc's but also adds recoil. Figure which will give you 1200#'s of energy and acceptable ballistics at whatever distance you want to get to and go from there. I try to keep the recoil as low as possible. And remember dift over drop for long range. Drop is easier to control. And a higher bc bullet carries/kepts energy. But after all that I go 300 prc over the 300 wm in 30 cal and the 33 Nosler over the 338 win mag. Cheers.

I also a have the 260 Rem as my primary hunting gun for any medium game. My 338 WM predates my 260 Rem. I have shot the 338 WM out to 400yds and have if ranged out to 600, but I have never shot game that far. At those ranges the 300WM shows a better trajectory, but the 338 WM has more energy. Your decision should probably consider the game you intend to be shooting. Ammo and reloading component availability in NZ should also figure in your decision process. But you should also consider modern rounds like 300 PRC or 270 Westerner, as others have suggested. Nothing wrong with starting with cartridges and rifles designed for long range work. Good luck in your choice.

Seeing how the op ask for which one between a 300wm and a 338wm and not what everyone's supporter choice is...300 wm.
So what if he doesn't need one to hunt where he is. When has that stopped anyone from getting something they want? I bet most of us have numerous gun we have no use for....but still need

I would go with the 300 wim mag. I have owned a 338 wm. I could never get it to shoot under 1.5 moa. My 300 wm rifles are much easier therefore less costly to get under 1 moa.

IMy 338 wm was a custom rifle I saved my pennies for when I was in high school. Back when we had guns in our gun racks in the school parking lot. And some schools had rifle teams.
300 win mag!!!
I was on my High School rifle team back in the day!! I'm Distinguished Expert with rifle and pistol. They still have a rifle team but they shoot air rifles now!

I own a 300 WM. After speaking with a friend with more experience than most, he made the final push for the 300WM. (More bullet and powder selection.) I went that route and have never been sorry. If it's punishment for my 70 year old shoulders I want, I'll get full power ammo for the 45-70.