.30 cal type S die neck opening

Tac-O

Can someone who has a 30cal type S FL die measure the neck opening for me?

I have a standard 30-284 Redding FL die but I don't like how much it sizes down the neck before expanding, so I bought a 6.5-284 type S FL die and I'm going to have a machine shop open the neck opening to allow the use of a 30cal bushing.

That's still helpful. Thanks!!

There's more clearance there than I thought there'd be

Yup! Thanks for the help. I've got a tool/machine shop lined up for next week when it gets here. I was thinking I'd have him open it to 3.350-3.352.

Because the inside hole the neck passes through doesn't come to a sharp point on that diameter but has a slight "neck" itself, I'm a little worried that increasing the hole diameter by 0.045 will increase the length of that "neck" too much causing a noticeable portion of my case neck to be unsized due to not going I to the bushing.

It's hard to explain, but if you looked at a cross section of the die I think it would make sense. I guess we'll see how it works and if needed, I could have him increase the depth of the bushing "seat" by a small amount.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the existing die opened up a couple of thousandths and polished?

I think I would only have Redding do that... It seems it would be a more technical modification that I'd want the die maker to do.

I thought about it, but I don't think they're currently offering the service and I sort of wanted to try out the bushing method.

Over on accurate shooter forum, there's a thread where a guy said all he did was drill out his 6.5-284 type s die to slightly larger than 30cal case neck diameter and it works great. I don't want to attempt to drill it out myself though

Probably gonna have to have a carbide chucking reamer, your local machine shop might have the correct size, but to convert to bushing die I believe it will have to have a seat opened up for the bushing also.
I've had JLC Precision convert a couple dies for me also if I remember it took about 3 weeks.