Redding type S neck sizing die question

Will using better brass (Norma or Lapua) eliminate the need to neck turn to reduce runout?

It isn't the bushing causing it. And actually, there is nothing good in FL sizing necks, which is why many reloaders have departed from it.

I can produce ammo with bushing dies under 1thou of TIR as measured off seated bullet bearing, and a v-block runout gage(Sinclair). This, even with unturned brass.
But here I have:
-Chosen a modern designed case and rational load
-Culled out every case with thickness variance
-Fully fireformed brass with partial neck sizing only, using a Wilson die
-Eventually bumping shoulders with a separate Redding body die
-NEVER FL sized

I read that the expander mandrel puts the opening .001 smaller than the bullet dia. Is this enough neck tension the hold the bullet? This is a LR hunting rifle.

Sinclair makes two types of mandrels. Neck turning mandrels are sized .002" under bullet dia and expander mandrel is .001" under bullet dia and both mandrels were made for Sinclair neck turning tools. I'll use the expander mandrel on new necks then bushing die for neck tension and I have mandrels made for Hart neck turner and K&M expander so between all those I'll find something that will work

I read one of your prior post about a 300mag and I assume that the rifle your posting about. I use Wilson neck and seat die as you see the Wilson only sized 3/16" from the case mouth.

L. E. WILSON Inc.

Since you mention your rifle is used for hunting and I'm not shooting factory chamber hunting rifles but I'm sure not going to hunt with neck size case either. I'll develop a load at the range using Wilson dies but 5 shot groups also include either FL size or new case to start with. When I get to fine tuning a load for hunting it's not with neck sized cases and nothing ever chronograph till I get that load then I do that and work up loads.

If your luck hunting load may shoot same as neck sized case. Well good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.