Redding S type die question

winmagman

I'm trying to set up a Redding FL bushing die to just bump the shoulder. I smoked the necks of three pieces of brass then followed the directions from Redding on how to set up the die. The problem I'm having is I can't even get close to the shoulder, with the die turned all the way down to contact the shell holder when the ram is all the way up I can only get a little over half of the neck sized. Am I doing something wrong or did I get a dud from Redding?

Thanks for any input
Chris

Check your die box to confirm what set it is.
Secondly, are you shure you want to bump and size the entire neck, usually the idea is to resize only about 1/8" or just over so the rest of the neck acts to closer allign to the bore.
You probably dont have your die set far enough in the press. How close are you comming to the shoulder?

Winmagman, I just recieved my FL size die, bushing style my self and resized some new brass a couple days ago. Have you fired the brass yet or is this new? With my new brass I noticed the die only sizes the neck to within 1/8" of the shoulder my RCBS dies always went right to the shoulder. Perhaps after the brass has been fired you will be able to adjust the die the way you want it. Don't forget Redding also has a range of shell holders that allow you to change the amount the shoulder is set back. Are you using a Redding shell holder? Good Luck! Good Shooting!

Problem solved (or close enough). I took the die out of the press and as I turned it upside down to look it over I hear a faint rattle, so I give it a shake and sure enough the bushing is rattling around like a BB in a garbage can. I then loosened up the locking ring on the decapping stem that I thought I had down almost all the way(finger tight)and put a little more effort into tightening it, sure enough it went about another 1/8" before the rattle stopped, backed it off about 1/16 of a turn per directions then gave it a try. Now it gets just about to the neck/shoulder junction.

Since this is for a 6.5 wssm on a savage that will be minimally headspaced from this new brass I'm thinking after its fired things will work out just fine.

Thanks
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.