Redding bushing neck sizing die

6pakzak

Looks like I'm gonna go down the rabbit hole further, looking at Redding match neck bushing die, looks like if I'm not neck turning I measure neck with loaded bullet and go .002 under for bushing, sound right to you guys and do you like the Redding die and should I get micrometer.

You have to get the neck i.d. just under the mandrel diameter after firing. It's either a full length sizing die or a bushing die. Then the added step of a mandrel die for final sizing. Reducing that back on forth squeezing seems better paired with a bushing die rather than a SAAMI FL die (button removed) which may be too much undersize for what you're trying to accomplish and avoid the additional work hardening. JMHO....

Bob hit the nail on the head.
I use a Century 21 black slippery mandrel.Your supposed to be able to use it as is but I still dip the case neck into Graphite for lube.
I forget what the coating is called but it is as slippery as snot on glass and glides in the neck and pushes all the irregularities to the outside of the case neck.For magnums I shoot for .002 to .003 for greater neck tension but on 30-06 and 308 I shoot for .001 to .002

I use a Century 21 black slippery mandrel.Your supposed to be able to use it as is but I still dip the case neck into Graphite for lube.
I forget what the coating is called but it is as slippery as snot on glass and glides in the neck and pushes all the irregularities to the outside of the case neck.
X 2 ! Black Nitride 😉

Looks like I'm gonna go down the rabbit hole further, looking at Redding match neck bushing die, looks like if I'm not neck turning I measure neck with loaded bullet and go .002 under for bushing, sound right to you guys and do you like the Redding die and should I get micrometer.
Yep…sounds good. I just use the 'regular' type S bushing sizer dies and save the micrometer for the seater die. Also, don't forget your decapping die (Lee Universal decapping die will be fine) since you'll be taking the guts out of the Redding.

Sooner or later you will need a way to push the shoulders back and/or body size the cases. I use Redding FL match bushing dies which seem to address all issues for me.

Just my 2 cents.

FL bushing dies are really 'body-bushing' dies (not FL dies).
It's a good point that he'll need shoulder bumping, and maybe body sizing. He can use a body die for that in a separate operation. That's what I do, and each is custom fit to fired cases.

2thou under loaded neck OD is a good place to start with a bushing.
It's not a hard number result because the amount of downsizing from a bushing is also tied to how much downsizing there will be from FIRED neck ODs. This changing the angle of sizing.

Don't forget about spring-back when sizing brass. The amount of spring-back depends on the number of firings since last annealed. Fresh annealed cases don't have much spring-back.

OP, if you provide the caliber/case details and your frequency of annealing someone could probably provide a recommended bushing size from their experience. If anything, I would slightly over reduce the neck diameter since we are assuming you are going to final size the neck ID with a mandrel.

I already decap on lee hand press, I have Redding body dies to set shoulder, I anneal after each firing, so I'm thinking I would anneal, body size, then Redding neck bushing die and follow with mandrel. So for 223 what would you recommend bushing and mandrel be?