BUSHING BUMP NECK SIZING DIE

Lpart

I have recently purchased a Forster Bushing Bump Neck Sizing Die to use in my Co-Ax press. Now I am wondering about the expander ball. Should I use it or decap separately and resize without the expander ball? I do have a separate decapping die I use on a regular basis. I see that Forster also has decapping units for this die that do not have an expander ball. For years I have always full length resized and now changing things up a bit chasing a little consistent loads. This one is for a 6.5 CM and if all goes well would also move in that direction with my other rifles.

Thank you for you consideration.

I have read mixed reviews on the bushing bump neck sizer die. Some say the cartridge needs to be completely supported others like it. I have one in 7rem mag and one for my 22-250. I like them both personally. I removed the decapping pin from them both since I decap before tumbling. I am curious myself about the expander ball. I am on my third reload with my 22-250 and am on 4th load with my 7. I check every piece of brass before charging to make sure that's they will chamber.

I do not know if this helps but I enjoy my Forster products. I switched to Forster from Redding when I had to replace my completion neck bushing die. It was my fault (set screw came loose and I didn't realize it, I crushed it) but the Forster has treated me well, but like you I would like to hear more about this.

My .223 Forster bushing bump die does not have a expander to expand the case neck, but the spindle assembly has a decapping unit.

BB-Decapping-Unit.jpg

Redding bushing dies come with a expander for those who do not neck turn their brass and Forster bushing bump dies do not. You can contact Forster and see if a expander can be added. "BUT" the standard Forster full length dies have a high mounted floating expander that enters the case neck while it is held and centered in the neck of the die. Meaning a standard expander would not work in their bushing bump die.

Last edited:
If you dont neck turn, use an expander. The uneven wall thickness will be moved to the outside of the case.

Use a bushing that just give a light feel as the bushing pull through the lubed neck.

I use FL sizing Type S Redding.
index.php

Yeah they sale them at Brownells, and several others. I know this isn't my thread, but thank you I didn't know about the expander ball. I turn my necks but I use the rcbs hand turner I get ok results from it but I am sure there are better brands out there. I will have to experiment with the expander ball to see if I can get a little better consistency.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.