Redding Competition Bushing Style - Neck Sizing Die - Interchangeable Bushings

As a follow-up, I did purchase the 257 neck bushings and neck sized my 25 RUM brass using the Redding competition 338 RUM bushing style neck sizing die. I checked neck runout on the cases after neck sizing and it was just fine.

I experienced no problems or deficiencies that I could identify.

How did this work out in the long run? I am thinking of trying a 300 saum wilson necksizing die and putting a busing in it to neck size 7mm saum brass. do you reckon this would work?

Last edited:
It works fine for me with the Redding bushings and neck sizing die. I'm not familiar with the Wilson neck sizing die and bushing setup, so I'm hesitant to offer any opinion. I was able to study my Redding dies and convince myself there wouldn't be any problems, and there haven't been. If you try it, let us know if it works.

Mark,
I sized down in one step and then expanded the neck with the K&M Services mandrel and outside neck turned. Then annealed the case necks.

The only powder I've used is US869, and the only bullet I've used is a Berger 115gr VLD. The fastest load was ~3900 fps but that was too hot - pressure wise. 3700 fps is more realistic with the 115 VLD bullet and 96-98 grains of US869.

I stopped playing with the 115gr Bergers because I had two bullets fail to reach the 300 yd target. The Bergers must be coming unglued in the bore or in-flight at these MVs. After that I decided there was no sense in wasting barrel life with the VLDs. I'm waiting for Wildcat Bullets to start shipping bullets and then I want to try their 130gr RBBTs and see if they'll stabilize in my 1:10 twist barrel.

I'll be surprised if I get 600 rnds of barrel life. But I did Gun Juice this bore. :) This will be a good test barrel to see if the Juice prolongs throat life. Once this barrel is toast, I'll probably reduce the horsepower. Haven't decided which cartridge yet.

How did this work out in the long run? I am thinking of trying a 300 saum wilson necksizing die and putting a busing in it to neck size 7mm saum brass. do you reckon this would work?

I contacted Wilson they said this approach will work.

Also I contacted lee to enquire about getting a collet neck sizing die made in 7mm saum, as another low run out option. They make customs only in a set including collet neck sizer, seater and case holder

They said they require 2X once fired brass and a bullet

My concern is will the die they come up with work OK on future custom 7mm saum chambers? (current chambering is remington factory) do I need to think carefully in terms of supplying 1xbrass with appropriate case neck length? I guess the case neck tension issue can be sorted by machining mandrels or buying a couple of extra custom mandrels? I would guess they need the bullet to make the seater, will it work OK with any bullet if I give them something like a 140 accubond? Surely they don't need a bullet for making the neck die?

Mark,
I sized down in one step and then expanded the neck with the K&M Services mandrel and outside neck turned. Then annealed the case necks.

The only powder I've used is US869, and the only bullet I've used is a Berger 115gr VLD. The fastest load was ~3900 fps but that was too hot - pressure wise. 3700 fps is more realistic with the 115 VLD bullet and 96-98 grains of US869.

I stopped playing with the 115gr Bergers because I had two bullets fail to reach the 300 yd target. The Bergers must be coming unglued in the bore or in-flight at these MVs. After that I decided there was no sense in wasting barrel life with the VLDs. I'm waiting for Wildcat Bullets to start shipping bullets and then I want to try their 130gr RBBTs and see if they'll stabilize in my 1:10 twist barrel.

I'll be surprised if I get 600 rnds of barrel life. But I did Gun Juice this bore. :) This will be a good test barrel to see if the Juice prolongs throat life. Once this barrel is toast, I'll probably reduce the horsepower. Haven't decided which cartridge yet.

After my recent experience of getting 3200 fps with a 180 bullet in a 24" 300 WSM with 67.5 grs of RL17, I am wondering how advantageous it would be to get 3400 fps with ~ 100 grs of powder out of a 26" 300 RUM? Which also makes me wonder how close an overbore WSM wild cat might come to the RUM wildcat?

I'll shoot out out my 300 RUM and then I might rechamber to a .338 or 300 Dakota or WSM, unless Alliant or someone else comes up with a slower burning version of RL17 for the larger mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts