Redding Type-S die question

cornstalker

I have a set of Redding Type-S FL dies for 6mm284. I just ordered a 6.5-284 and wonder if I can use the same dies with a different bushing.

If so, how can I determine what size bushing to order with no fired cases to measure?

I plan on running Lapua brass, FWIW.

Cornstalker,

There's a degree of interchangeability there, but it's normally only about a caliber or so in step. Can't recall, but it seems to me that it also was in one direction only, i.e., using a 308 to do 7mm-08, but not the other way around. Don't hold me to that, as I'd have to check. You could also call Redding, and I'm sure they'd be happy to give you the lowdown here.

Can't recall, but it seems to me that it also was in one direction only, i.e., using a 308 to do 7mm-08, but not the other way around.

Hadn't thought of that, though it makes sense. I should be able to figure that much out by taking them apart and looking at them which, incidentally, I have not done yet......

Thanks for the input.

The Redding type s dies are usually over bored at the neck a little, if a 6.5 x 284 case will go in the 6 x 284 die with NO bushing in it and not scratch or mar the neck, it should work. I have a 30 STW that I load with a 7 STW type S sizer and a bigger bushing.

The 6 x 284 seating will NOT work, I would suggest a Forster Micrometer Seater. Absolutely the best die for the money IMHO.
Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater Die 6.5mm-284 Norma (6.5mm-284 Winchester) - MidwayUSA

To determine what bushing to start with, measure the neck thickness of the brass you intend to use, (measure several places on several cases) multiply by 2 and add to .264, that would be a close loaded round diameter. Then depending on whether you are going to load single shot or use a mag how much neck tension you want. With a single shot I usually subtract .002 and .003 and order those to start with.
The BEST way is to borrow some from a friend and try them.

Dave

Both dies will work, I have both calibers. All you need to do is call Redding and have them send you a 6.5-284 seating stem. If you don't mind changing out the stems each time you seat bullets, this will work fine.

Good luck,
Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts