.30 cal type S die neck opening

Probably gonna have to have a carbide chucking reamer, your local machine shop might have the correct size, but to convert to bushing die I believe it will have to have a seat opened up for the bushing also.
I've had JLC Precision convert a couple dies for me also if I remember it took about 3 weeks.

I'm not having the FL die converted to bushing. I bought a 6.5-284 type s that I'm just going to have the neck hole opened up on to accept 30cal neck

I'm not having the FL die converted to bushing. I bought a 6.5-284 type s that I'm just going to have the neck hole opened up on to accept 30cal neck
It its not indicated in true to the body of the die chances are your neck will become crooked, you will have to get the exact chucking reamer size your looking for.. Easiest solution and cheapest is send it to JLC precision and convert to bushing die.

You said in your original post you wanted it opened up for a 30 cal bushing

Because the inside hole the neck passes through doesn't come to a sharp point on that diameter but has a slight "neck" itself, I'm a little worried that increasing the hole diameter by 0.045 will increase the length of that "neck" too much causing a noticeable portion of my case neck to be unsized due to not going I to the bushing.
If I did the trig right, and depending on what size hole the die has when you get it from the factory, you'll have an additional .032 of straight section if you bore out the hole by .045. You might want to have the bushing seat deepened at the same time while it is set up in the lathe. You will already have a small amount of unsized neck because of the lead in chamfer around the bushing hole.
If you have never used a bushing die before, remember to screw the decapping stem plug down until it touches the bushing, then back it off just slightly and lock it in place. This allows the bushing to float and center itself on the neck.

Last edited:
O.K after rereading your post I get it now, you already have a bushing die you just want the neck opened up to bigger for a 30 cal. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

If I did the trig right, and depending on what size hole the die has when you get it from the factory, you'll have an additional .032 of straight section if you bore out the hole by .045. You might want to have the bushing seat deepened at the same time while it is set up in the lathe. You will already have a small amount of unsized neck because of the lead in chamfer around the bushing hole.

Thanks! I hadn't come to the point of doing the math yet.

That's a little more than I expected

The numbers I used might change slightly depending on the hole size in the new die and exactly what size it is opened up to. In my opinion I think you could get away with .005-.006 clearance over what ever the size of a fired case neck is, or if you know the neck size of the chamber from the reamer drawing. That will change that straight section number some and how much the bushing seat will need to be made deeper. I can re-trig it for you if you give me the exact numbers.

get ahold of forester and see if they will hone open the neck of your actual 30-284 die to your exact measurement , 26$ just not sure if they'll do it do a Redding brand die ??

[email protected]

I was reading about this recently on a thread somewhere and I think it was stated that they'll only do it with Forster dies.

BUT, I called the Redding CS rep that I had talked to last week on having my FL die fixed and asked about honing the neck to 0.335 and he said they probably could even though they don't offer that service.

I sent this die in because it had a couple of quality issues... It was leaving a protrusion on the shoulder right at the shoulder/base junction that would catch a fingernail when running over it and it would also leave vertical lines on the neck where at the bottom of the lines would be "balled" up brass as if the die is actually scratching off brass as it sizes the neck.

So anyway, if they hone the neck for me, I may try it out prior to making any mods to the type S die.

So I have an update on this. The local took/die shop I talked to for modifying the type S die quoted $50-100. The guy mentioned earlier in this thread that does alot of these mods (JLC precision) quoted me less and it was really affordable. I think the price was also the same for having my FL die modded to a bushing style die that could use Redding bushings.

Talking to the Redding CS guy, he said they could hone the neck in my die to a larger diameter (0.335 specified by me), even though they don't typically do that. So, I decided to return the 6.5-284 die I bought. If I need/want to, I'll just send this FL die to JLC Precision. I received my die back today, and it looks like they just made a new one for me. When I sent it, I didn't include the recapping stem and expanding but because I don't use it. They included one with the new die they sent... So that's cool. On the return sheet it says they replaced the die due to the probkems I had with it but it didn't say anything about honing the neck.

So, I'll size a couple tonight and we'll see!

I think it was overall a 2.5ish week turnaround.

Thanks Jay at Redding!

Update. It doesn't appear they honed the neck of the replacement die they sent me, so that's a bummer. I may send it out to JLC precision later this year.

The new die does eliminate one of the issues I had with the first one, which was galling of the necks on my brass. I think the shoulder neck junction in the first one must have been rough.

But, the new die still leaves a raised ring on the shoulder right at the shoulder/body junction. It's barely there, but when running a fingernail down the shoulder it will catch. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not...

Recent Posts