Redding S type die problem

Have you back off the bushing so it floats. That bushing has to lose by a .001" or .002". to allow for alinement. I have used RCBS Lube of years, and not had a problem with it, IF I apply the case lube properly. I have now changed to Imperial wax. Thinking about going back to Lube and a pad. Got to be sure that you have enough lube on the pad, but at the same time not to much either. I like just rolling the case on the pad, but making sure I get the whole case lube.

Was having same issue years ago with clean/new dies… and got some advice from someone doing this a lot longer than I have.

Using a q-tip, give a light coating to the inside of the die.

Then, lube first case as normal, run it into die until it starts to drag, bring it back out, and touch up the lube in that spot on the case (you'll see it…likely shoulder, then web), and continue that (3-4 in/out cycles) until the case has been fully sized.

The next case should size in 1 pass like normal.

I use Imperial.

I would measure the necks of the fired cases. If they measure more than .339 then that may be your problem. I have read that when using busing dies you can run into problems if trying to shrink the neck by more than .004". If this is the case you may try sizing the neck in two steps, first with a larger bushing, maybe .338" or .339" and then with the final .335". Another solution is to order the Short Action Customs bushing in .335". They are a unique design that are slightly wider at the mouth and eliminate runout. Well worth the $35.

Yeah clean dies take a little bit of lube to start running.

This might tick some people off, but I very rarely clean dies. I've never had an issue with shoulder dings from excess lube, the cases size and measure out correctly, so I just leave them alone. Probably a nasty mix of OneShot, Imperial, and graphite inside them all now, but I haven't stuck a case yet either.

"It hasn't screw me... yet" 🤣 = Resounding Endorsement.
I have never really cleaned a die until recently. And that was more because I noticed some of them were starting to get rust spots on the outside of the die.
I've never had any issues but have decided I should clean them after every use now. I'm lazy though. We'll see how long that lasts.

I have never really cleaned a die until recently. And that was more because I noticed some of them were starting to get rust spots on the outside of the die.
I've never had any issues but have decided I should clean them after every use now. I'm lazy though. We'll see how long that lasts.
What I do….. Take an old soup can , fill it 2/3 full with mineral spirits then drop the die in. Go have a burger n' a beer. Take the die out and drain on a paper towel whilst reading the LRH blog. You'll enjoy your self.

I use One Shot case lube with my Redding type S bushing die and have never had any issues. If I clean the die, I'll give it a quick squirt inside the One Shot.

I've had a similar experience with Redding dies and LC or Laupa brass in 308. Redding polished the die up for me and they work great.

Have you back off the bushing so it floats. That bushing has to lose by a .001" or .002". to allow for alinement. I have used RCBS Lube of years, and not had a problem with it, IF I apply the case lube properly. I have now changed to Imperial wax. Thinking about going back to Lube and a pad. Got to be sure that you have enough lube on the pad, but at the same time not to much either. I like just rolling the case on the pad, but making sure I get the whole case lube.
Yes, definitely. I watched a bunch of videos and most importantly read the instructions that came with the dies. Gave it about a 16th of a turn and listened for the "rattle".

just my 2 centsworth- did you clean the dies and using the same lot of brass or you all over the place with brass ? Imperial wax is the only way to go along with Redding dry lube.
DO NOT RUSH_ RUSH THE LOADING PROCESS. Wait for the right toys to do the job, only some 50+ years behind that remark= saves money in the long run.

just my 2 centsworth- did you clean the dies and using the same lot of brass or you all over the place with brass ? Imperial wax is the only way to go along with Redding dry lube.
DO NOT RUSH_ RUSH THE LOADING PROCESS. Wait for the right toys to do the job, only some 50+ years behind that remark= saves money in the long run.
Personally I have never experienced that problem with standard or bushing type dies. I have had too put a lot more effort in sizing brass that was shot in a oversized chamber and a tight chambered die . I think you need too start from scratch with new brass , if the problem still exists , do a chamber cast in comparison too your die and that will tell the tale . The bushing die is not your problem , just about any lube will work , some a little better than others . Do a visual on the head of the case if you see a obvious bulge around the webbing that might indicate a chambering problem , that can cause a sizing problem. Good Luck

My S dies get lubed with RCBS 2, OFF a pad.

A new or clean, first time used die needs EXTRA LUBE on the first case.