Redding s type die advice

Run a .338 and be done with it. If after exhausting all other options your rifle will not shoot then and only then would I suggest changing business. Never, I repeat never have I not been able to get a load to shooting well under .5 moa with a magnum cartridge using Federal 215ms, an appropriate powder, a heavy for caliber Berger bullet, and .002 neck tension. If you take the advise of some you will have a burnt out barrel by the time you have found the perfect bushing, the perfect primer, the perfect bullet, the perfect powder. Pick the components you want to shoot. Pick a bushing I suggest .338 and stick with it until it will not shoot. Once you find the load go learn to shoot this rifle. Do not waste barrel life testing everything. Some things just are not worth it.

Sounds good to me. I just bought 1000 gm215m and some 8133.
If the hammers don't work, I'll try Berger 215.

Finally going to load these up for the initial ladder test. Anyone have a suggestion for a starting point for bullet jump with the Hammer Hunters?

Finally going to load these up for the initial ladder test. Anyone have a suggestion for a starting point for bullet jump with the Hammer Hunters?
Not knowing the exact details of your reamer, allow me to ask...

Have you tried to measure the CBTO with that bullet touching the lands?
If that reamer detail was up above I missed it, sorry... but a starting point can be driven by the magazine length in some cases, and the chamber dimensions in others.

If we assume your mag doesn't preclude seating anywhere you want, then I will suggest about 0.005" off the lands for a hunting rifle. You certainly don't want to jam since that often leads to a stuck bullet when you don't fire and then want to unload. Some rigs will shoot a better group at a deeper seating depth, but as stated earlier, unless you have a better guide going just off the lands is a common start.

Your first tests will establish your entry point for powder charge. Then, if you are in the mood, your next series will be for seating depth.

I saw some earlier advice about doing very little load development in order to save bbl life (and hair, LOL). But I have only seen that approach work well with very standardized weapons. I am often in the position of not being able to copy a good starting point due to bbl lengths, profiles, reamers, etc., and that forced me to use DOE methods to prevent wasting bbl life. YMMV and good luck in any case. In for the range report!

The Hammer bullets won't care what jump you use. Load them to mag length and go shoot.
rfurman gave you good advice take it. I The whole purpose of full length sizing by bumping the shoulders back .002 is consistency. Every loading is the same you are never somewhere between neck sizing and full length sizing.

if your brass is new i would not recommend any closer that 20 off

let say that the shoulders on your brass are not are close to touching the shoulder chamber as you think and you size them and end up bumping em 2 more thousands , what if the headspace was .005 and you bump em 2 more totaling .007

what do you think might happen if you only seat .005???

id start safely away at 20 off , until you know your brass is done growing/matching the chamber

if you have consistently measured the shoulder of your fired brass and see there is a maximum measurement on all cases that is never exceeded , then you can assume they have all swollen to match your chamber ... then, a 5 off jump would never jam into lands

Last edited:
Dusty Noggin, the difference in the headspace between the dummy case on the Stoney Point (Hornady) tool and your actual chamber, is one reason I recommended trying both methods before you assume you really know anything. The dummy round method with the ejector removed is very definitive. However, even if your shoulder has a long way to go, the same CBTO dimension applies because it doesn't use the shoulder.

All brass expands to some degree as the ignition starts, but if the CBTO is set up correctly, that bullet starts the jump at the same time regardless of how far the brass shoulder or head expand. I will theorize that you will do better with a fire-formed case that is just lightly bumped, but the CBTO value shouldn't really chase the shoulder headspace (or the belt headspace) if you have it set up correctly. The difference in pressure between a fire-formed case, and one with a huge gap, occurs when the bullet is already beyond the neck. So yes, the brass matters, but not in terms of jump.

I haven't observed huge shoulder movements on the order of 0.020" with the exception of some .303 Brit rigs, but we still set up the jump the same regardless. We see a slight drop in velocity and pressure after those .303 cases move, but it doesn't change how we look at CBTO. There will be less total difference between the runs of new loose brass versus fire-formed, if you keep the CBTO the same, as compared to adding 0.020" just to fire-form. YMMV

i fully agree that removed ejector is the only way to know for sure the distance to first contact of the lands

so now that you know , your exact chamber length to first contact . and you have put that ejector back in to fire your new rounds

what is stopping the plunger from pushing the "005. off loaded round"" ogive right into the land and jamming it ???

hopefully the shoulder, because if it doesnt ... it will be your bullet stopping into the lands

i prefer not to tell someone to seat off the lands .005 until they understand the correlation between the 2 measurements

I haven't observed huge shoulder movements on the order of 0.020" with the exception of some .303 Brit rigs, but we still set up the jump the same regardless. We see a slight drop in velocity and pressure after those .303 cases move, but it doesn't change how we look at CBTO. There will be less total difference between the runs of new loose brass versus fire-formed, if you keep the CBTO the same, as compared to adding 0.020" just to fire-form. YMMV

doesnt have to be 20 thousands shoulder , could be .006 just a higher number that your jump. if you know how much farther you need to swell a case up , then you're golden ... but if you dont due to new brass or new chamber or whatever , then stay 20 off until you do know ...

yes belted mags will add a variation to this topic , this but that doesnt apply to the OP cartridge

JMO

Last edited:
New issue...
I just deprimed, tumbled, and neck sized these once-fired 30 Nosler brass. I used the Redding body sizing die. Fired brass measured with the Hornady tool was 2.1815" to the shoulder with the 0.420" collet. So my target was 2.1795" for 0.002" shoulder bump.
It seemed that the shoulder actually moved out 1-2 thou as I dropped the die down. When it finally was contacting the Redding #6 shellholder it remained right at 2.181". So essentially no shoulder bump. Is this common with the standard shell holder? Need to get the competition set of shell holders?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.