Redding S type die problem

GuroChris

Foot of the Blue Ridge in the shadow of Gun Mtn
I finally got all the components I needed to get some precision hunting ammo loaded, but I ran into a snag.

I got a new set of Redding S type dies. I cleaned out the dies when i tried to use them the reassembled minus the sizer ball. I had a couple of twice fired cases to use for trying this new set up out. I cleaned and lubed the cases in my normal fashion. When I tried to run the first case through the die it felt like I needed a lot of effort to get it to go all the way into the die. When I tried to lower the ram, the case was stuck in the die.

It took some effort to get the stuck case out. After the case was out I went back through and cleaned and inspected the die and bushing for scratches or burrs. None were found. After I got it all ready to go for another try I tried a different lube on the case. The first attempt was using Hornady One Shot, which I have used without problems in the past. The second case was lubed with an RCBS case pad and gel lube.

As I raised the ram to size the case it felt exactly the same as the first attempt so I stopped before the case was all the way into the die. Fortunately it didn't get stuck.

I've never used Bushing Dies before and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Its a .308 Winchester

The loaded case measures .337 at the neck. The bushing I'm using is .335, which should give me .002 of tension. Or am I wrong?

The barrel is brand new. Just had the gunsmith blueprint and re-barrel with a Bartlein M24 contour 5R barrel.

I used some old lee dies last week to make up some loads, and had several groups measure out between .4 to .6 MOA with different powder charges. I was doing some load development with charge weight.

Brass from that didnt look beat up or marred, so I would hope that would indicate the chamber is OK.

I doubt it is the neck getting hung up they are pretty flimsy....take the bushing out and run it like a body die. Without the neck bushing you will know pretty quick. My guess is the case body near the web area. The imperial wax is good stuff. May just need to take a q-tip and put a very small amount in the die body.

I'm not sure why you need to size new cases. I wouldn't resize until after the first firing, they will be adjusting to your chamber for the first firing. I usually choose cheaper bullets for the first firing as well.

The S bushings are usually selected to size a previously fired case, that is larger than bullet diameter, not one that may be already sized substantially smaller than your bullet. This shouldn't be a problem …. so maybe there is a process problem… What is the caliber and neck OD of the new brass?
What sizing bushing did you select?

I doubt it is the neck getting hung up they are pretty flimsy....take the bushing out and run it like a body die. Without the neck bushing you will know pretty quick. My guess is the case body near the web area. The imperial wax is good stuff. May just need to take a q-tip and put a very small amount in the die body.
I'm kind of out in the sticks, would the RCBS gel lube work? I would have to order the imperial die wax and wait for it to ship.

I'm not sure why you need to size new cases. I wouldn't resize until after the first firing, they will be adjusting to your chamber for the first firing. I usually choose cheaper bullets for the first firing as well.

The S bushings are usually selected to size a previously fired case, that is larger than bullet diameter, not one that may be already sized substantially smaller than your bullet. This shouldn't be a problem …. so maybe there is a process problem… What is the caliber and neck OD of the new brass?
What sizing bushing did you select?
My original post said they were twice fired cases.

Well, I tried Weaver's idea and it worked great! I used a long stem Q-tip to put just the smallest amount of case lube inside the die and whammo. Cases had a normal amount of resistance going into the die and got a perfect .002 of shoulder bump.

Thanks guys, to everyone that replied. And, I'm going to keep that STP tip in my bag of tricks.

Yeah clean dies take a little bit of lube to start running.

This might tick some people off, but I very rarely clean dies. I've never had an issue with shoulder dings from excess lube, the cases size and measure out correctly, so I just leave them alone. Probably a nasty mix of OneShot, Imperial, and graphite inside them all now, but I haven't stuck a case yet either.

"It hasn't screw me... yet" 🤣 = Resounding Endorsement.

Last edited: