30.06 and Hammer Bullets

newmexkid

Just got off the phone with my gunsmith after placing an order for a 30.06. In all my years of rifles I have never owned a 30.06 so I figured, why not. This rifle will probably be headed to California for one of my nephews. Because of CA. rules I have decided to go with the Hammer Bullets. Never tried them so once again, why not? It will more than likely never be used for anything bigger than deer as he has other rifles. The twist will be 1:10 at 26". I am wondering if we have any shooters that have used a 30.06 with Hammer's for deer. I'm looking at the 152 gr. HH but, really I have no idea. I'm open to any suggestions and powders to try. Thanks.

RL-16 works, should be able to crack 3000 fps.. They load for a Safari outfit camp rifle, and use the 166. The 174 is also a good balance also. Mine is a No.1 so magazine length isn't an issue with the longer bullets, but they work as well.

"Hammer" recommended the 166 for my 1:10 03-06 RL-16(57gr) for mine too--2880fps from a 21" rem700 mountain rifle with good groups-- loaded to 3.5" and using cci mag primers with .002" neck tension (rem brass)
I hit about 2980 but it was hot for this short barrel so I backed it down a bit

Reloader 17 does very well in the 06, I load 165 grain Accubonds with 56.5 -57 very comfortably (even out of a semi auto Browning) and Fed 210 primers. Load is good for 2900 fps, as well with 150 grain Barnes TTSX 60 grains is almost 3100 with the Barnes in a bolt action. Loads are safe in my rifle only.

Just got off the phone with my gunsmith after placing an order for a 30.06. In all my years of rifles I have never owned a 30.06 so I figured, why not. This rifle will probably be headed to California for one of my nephews. Because of CA. rules I have decided to go with the Hammer Bullets. Never tried them so once again, why not? It will more than likely never be used for anything bigger than deer as he has other rifles. The twist will be 1:10 at 26". I am wondering if we have any shooters that have used a 30.06 with Hammer's for deer. I'm looking at the 152 gr. HH but, really I have no idea. I'm open to any suggestions and powders to try. Thanks.
I would think a healthy dose of H-4350 would work just fine You will really like the hammer bullets easy load development very accurate

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.