IMR 4166 and Hammer Bullets

Kmccord

I had been looking for Varget for awhile, but was able to find some IMR 4166 that is supposed to be similar to Varget. I plan on purchasing 110gr Hammer Hunters and 124gr Hammer Hunters in 6.5 for my Creedmoor, my question does anyone have any experience with the powder and bullets combo? I would like to hear what was your experience and what was the starting and stopping load, the brass I am using is Lapua LRP, primers are CCI 200. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Tagging in here as well. I have a couple pounds of varget on hand but just grabbed an 8# jug of 4166. Planning on trying it with 140 absolute hammers in my 7mm-08ai when it's done. On my burn chart it's right in there with varget, 4895, blc2 and CFE223 .

In the absolute hammer thread spreadsheet it looks like it was used effectively in a couple short action rounds.

Here's some absolute hammer load data from the thread
B399817A-D5A5-4DDA-89E5-77E2437ACF20.png

This is for absolute hammers. They are way different loading than regular hammer hunters.
True. Well I'm assuming true. I haven't actually used them yet but I have fair amount of experience with hammer hunters and those are also low engraving pressure so it might roughly translate though I would certainly start lower with hammer hunters.

Looking at Hodgdon load data for a 123gr Hornady soft point, they start out at 34.2gr of IMR 4166 and end at 38.0gr. Is this a good starting point for the 124gr. Hammer Hunters?

I ran 4166 with the 101 HH yesterday in my 6 Creedmoor. Pressured out at 36 immediately and blew primer. It was also very dirty and the bullet may be releasing to soon due to how fast it is. It may require a crimp @ButterBean process to hold the bullet a little longer, but with it blowing primers so soon I will try something slower.
7C6C9481-A1C4-43CB-81B5-14E46BEB9B27.jpeg

I have no experience with IMR 4166 or hammer bullets although I'm getting ready to order for 270, 280 and 308. However in my 6.5 cms I load for I use IMR 4451, 41gr with berger 130gr otm hybrid and have seen very good results in 3 different guns. I would be interested to know what load data you come up with.

I ran 4166 with the 101 HH yesterday in my 6 Creedmoor. Pressured out at 36 immediately and blew primer. It was also very dirty and the bullet may be releasing to soon due to how fast it is. It may require a crimp @ButterBean process to hold the bullet a little longer, but with it blowing primers so soon I will try something slower.View attachment 271884
What was your case fill like ?