30-06 and hammer bullets??

Budget'06

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum though I've scrolled through for a while now. A few months ago I traded a savage 110 tactical (6.5 PRC) for a cva cascade in 30-06. So far I've loaded up some 150gr FMJ bullets (3067fps) for target shooting to 300 yards or so, and some 165gr sst bullets as a hunting load.

I was curious if anyone has used hammer bullets in the '06 and if so what weight class did you choose. I'm also curious as to what velocity to expect as I've heard they tend to be a decent bit faster than traditional bullets.

I was thinking 166 HH, I mostly hunt white tail as I live in upstate NY, but I'd like to venture out west within the next few years.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum though I've scrolled through for a while now. A few months ago I traded a savage 110 tactical (6.5 PRC) for a cva cascade in 30-06. So far I've loaded up some 150gr FMJ bullets (3067fps) for target shooting to 300 yards or so, and some 165gr sst bullets as a hunting load.

I was curious if anyone has used hammer bullets in the '06 and if so what weight class did you choose. I'm also curious as to what velocity to expect as I've heard they tend to be a decent bit faster than traditional bullets.

I was thinking 166 HH, I mostly hunt white tail as I live in upstate NY, but I'd like to venture out west within the next few years.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum!
Go to Hammer Hunter Load Data to get an idea of possible velocities. Also data on Absolute Hammers and Hammer HHTs.
Be conscious of twist requirements and you'll likely find lighter bullets than you're used to work very well.

Welcome to the Forum!
Go to Hammer Hunter Load Data to get an idea of possible velocities. Also data on Absolute Hammers and Hammer HHTs.
Be conscious of twist requirements and you'll likely find lighter bullets than you're used to work very well.
Thank you! I've been on their website several times and never noticed load data. I had to Google specifically that.

Looks like the 166s and imr4831 should be a winning combo.

I hunted plains game in Africa in 2023with a 3006 and Hammer 180s (rented from PH), worked perfect from 80 to 250 yards on different plains game. Multiple occasions I took rear quartering shots and the Hammer 180s traveled from rear hip to exit the front shoulder for one shot DRTs. All the Hammer 180s exited with passthroughs except the Blue Wildebeest - found on far side under hide. Big fan of 3006 and Hammer 180s.

I hunted plains game in Africa in 2023with a 3006 and Hammer 180s (rented from PH), worked perfect from 80 to 250 yards on different plains game. Multiple occasions I took rear quartering shots and the Hammer 180s traveled from rear hip to exit the front shoulder for one shot DRTs. All the Hammer 180s exited with passthroughs except the Blue Wildebeest - found on far side under hide. Big fan of 3006 and Hammer 180s.
Sounds like an awesome hunt! I was thinking about the 180s but wasnt sure the velocity the hammers expanded at. That's the type of feedback/user experience I was looking for.

Sounds like an awesome hunt! I was thinking about the 180s but wasnt sure the velocity the hammers expanded at. That's the type of feedback/user experience I was looking for.
I wouldn't use 180s. I would use 150-160, I live in upstate NY as well. Don't have an 06 but the 150-160s will kill anything you are going to shoot at

I have tried them both in my 300 win mag and they shoot good. Whitetail are easy to kill and don't need big bullets
The only white tail I've taken (I'm still new to hunting as I mostly target shoot) was with a 25-06. I have no doubts the 150-160s will work for that. Curious how they perform on bigger tougher game. I'd imagine weight retention is pretty good so I was planning to split the difference and use the 166s

The only white tail I've taken (I'm still new to hunting as I mostly target shoot) was with a 25-06. I have no doubts the 150-160s will work for that. Curious how they perform on bigger tougher game. I'd imagine weight retention is pretty good so I was planning to split the difference and use the 166s
it's the speed of them that kills stuff.