30-06 and hammer bullets??

My PH in South Africa has access to all the Hammer line but he chose 180s in 3006. He favored the heavier weights per caliber. He was well aware of the American tendency to emphasize lighter projectile weight and speed. He and his clients harvest plains game daily - his opinion on what works carries some weight. The 180s were moving in the 2700 fps range out of a suppressed Howa 1500 22 inch sporter weight rifle.

I had 166 Hammers in hand to load in my personal 3006 before I decided to take the easy route and just rent. I am sure the 166s will work too.

I'd also vote lighter. Something in the 137 to 150 gr range. There's lots of guys who would recommend the 124 HH but I'm not quite there yet ha ha. Lots of big animals taken with that weight range and some guys run the 124 HH out of 300 RUM's. I'm currently using the 168 HHT out of my 300 Win Mag. I don't have any worries with that bullet from deer to elk and moose.

My concern with lighter bullets is wind. If I choose to use this rifle over others, it will be on open farm land out to 400-500 yards. Id probably take most in 2-300 but want the ability to reach out a bit further. Would the lighter bullets give me too much trouble in the wind?

My concern with lighter bullets is wind. If I choose to use this rifle over others, it will be on open farm land out to 400-500 yards. Id probably take most in 2-300 but want the ability to reach out a bit further. Would the lighter bullets give me too much trouble in the wind?
nope - less time of flight and less impact by the wind. Out to 500 yds you should be good. And your holdovers will be slightly less up to 500 yds.

nope - less time of flight and less impact by the wind. Out to 500 yds you should be good. And your holdovers will be slightly less up to 500 yds.
Great to know! Thanks for the advice. For those bullets what powders would one recommend. I've got another 7 or so pounds of Big Game, with 150fmjs I get 3067fps, think that powder would work good for the monos in that class as well?

Maybe. You have to run it through a ballistic calculator to actually know. There's a tradeoff between BC and MV. MV wins up close and BC wins further out. Where one overtakes the other will depend how bad the BC is and how high the MV is.

Maybe. You have to run it through a ballistic calculator to actually know. There's a tradeoff between BC and MV. MV wins up close and BC wins further out. Where one overtakes the other will depend how bad the BC is and how high the MV is.
I'm thinking for most of my shots the velocity will be more important. Plus, who doesnt like speed

Great to know! Thanks for the advice. For those bullets what powders would one recommend. I've got another 7 or so pounds of Big Game, with 150fmjs I get 3067fps, think that powder would work good for the monos in that class as well?
Big game powder will work fine. In my ackley I've gotten good results with Rel 19, H4350 and Sta Bil 6.5 If you use Hammer bullets, I'd follow the load recipies published elsewhere on these forums. Start lower that their max as most of the loaders here tend to try to get the max out of their rifles and loads that may be safe in their rifles may not be safe in yours. in my rifles, my best accuracy has been about 100 fps under max.

Big game powder will work fine. In my ackley I've gotten good results with Rel 19, H4350 and Sta Bil 6.5 If you use Hammer bullets, I'd follow the load recipies published elsewhere on these forums. Start lower that their max as most of the loaders here tend to try to get the max out of their rifles and loads that may be safe in their rifles may not be safe in yours. in my rifles, my best accuracy has been about 100 fps under max.
What kind of velocities are you seeing if I may ask

What kind of velocities are you seeing if I may ask
I have a 280 AI and with R-19 and a Barnes 145 LRX I'm pushing 3150 FPS. one and half more grains of powder and I see pressure signs. With Sta bil 6.5 and the Absolute Hammers 140 gr I'm at 3250 but that is 100 FPS under my max in my rifle. 24" barrel This hammer bullet anchored a small bull last year after a bad shot by me. A follow up shot was necessary and I'm thankful the bull didn't escape - but the hammer bullet was effective and I'm not sure another bullet would have done that.

I have a 280 AI and with R-19 and a Barnes 145 LRX I'm pushing 3150 FPS. one and half more grains of powder and I see pressure signs. With Sta bil 6.5 and the Absolute Hammers 140 gr I'm at 3250 but that is 100 FPS under my max in my rifle. 24" barrel This hammer bullet anchored a small bull last year after a bad shot by me. A follow up shot was necessary and I'm thankful the bull didn't escape - but the hammer bullet was effective and I'm not sure another bullet would have done that.
Those are moving pretty fast, I'm thinking if I use a 150gr bullet or something close, I might be able to get 3100 at peak, maybe a sweet spot around 3000. Thanks for your input!

I'm getting the same velocity with my 280AI. It's got a 23" barrel and my load is right at 3300 FPS. This is with the 140 AH and H100V. As recommended look up the hammer loading page on this forum or on hammer time forum. Should give you lots of ideas as far as powders and loads. I also used to get hung up on BC but then realized I've only shot two animals over 500 yds. Whitetail at 734 yds and an elk at 625 yds. Lots in that 3-500 yd range. But I know some guys shoot a lot farther where they hunt and a high BC ,heavy for caliber bullet makes sense for them.

I'm getting the same velocity with my 280AI. It's got a 23" barrel and my load is right at 3300 FPS. This is with the 140 AH and H100V. As recommended look up the hammer loading page on this forum or on hammer time forum. Should give you lots of ideas as far as powders and loads. I also used to get hung up on BC but then realized I've only shot two animals over 500 yds. Whitetail at 734 yds and an elk at 625 yds. Lots in that 3-500 yd range. But I know some guys shoot a lot farther where they hunt and a high BC ,heavy for caliber bullet makes sense for them.
Yeah it's really seeming that when you punch all the numbers in, the velocity is way more important out to 4-500 yards. I wanted to try some really heavies in it at some point just to see how it shoots