Thoughts on a hammer bullet for a 30-06

unclecroc

I have a Ruger m77 ftw hunter 30-06 that I need to work up a load for and I need some input on what bullet to choose. I'll be hunting deer and black bear under 300 yards with this rifle. Bullets for consideration are 135 power hammer, 137 hammer hunter and 151 absolute hammer. I have 4 pounds of IMR 4064 so for obvious reasons I'd like to stay with that powder. What are your thoughts? I am open to suggestions outside of these bullets but I would like to stay with a bullet that will match well with IMR 4064.

I have been shooting hammer bullets for about 4 months - gone thru about 200 of em. First attempt was on a 6.5 creedmore - never got any groups below 1 MOA with several different weights so I stayed with the Barnes LRX. I think perhaps i wasn't pushing them hard enough as others have had more success when the hammers were screeming. Next attempt was in a 280 AI with velocity running close to 3200 FPS. Now, no group has been above 1 MOA with several different powders. Very happy with this bullet. So, I believe you need to really push the hammers to get the best out of them.

IF you happen to have any W760, it will push the 180HH easy 2800+ and will be lights out on bear or deer. This load is listed.

I would go with the 151 absolute hammer with the 4064 your fps will be about the same as it would be with the other two you mentioned
That's the way I was leaning for those reasons. But I just wanted to hear opinions before commuting.

RL16 will get you 2800+ easily with the 180HH.
B96B47C3-A70A-4F78-B3CD-05510EF0024F.png

Any good 180 gr bullets and h4350 is a combination for the 30-06 that been around a long time.
Around 57-58 gr some where in the 2750 range in fps. Will kill anything in North America. I've loaded that load for me and my friends 06 for over 35 years in untold number of 06. all shot very well.
a second is RL26 with 180 gr bullets. 2750-2800 fps. With 215 primer. Close second
cheers

I have been shooting hammer bullets for about 4 months - gone thru about 200 of em. First attempt was on a 6.5 creedmore - never got any groups below 1 MOA with several different weights so I stayed with the Barnes LRX. I think perhaps i wasn't pushing them hard enough as others have had more success when the hammers were screeming. Next attempt was in a 280 AI with velocity running close to 3200 FPS. Now, no group has been above 1 MOA with several different powders. Very happy with this bullet. So, I believe you need to really push the hammers to get the best out of them.
Which particular Hammer bullet were you shooting in your .280AI? Thanks

Which particular Hammer bullet were you shooting in your .280AI? Thanks
143 Gr hunter bullets. with 24" barrel I think 3250 fps or more is achievable as I have not reached pressure signs yet. I have used r-19, h-4350 and H-4831 SC and all have been over 3150 with no pressure signs. I also have a 26" barrel 280 AI and am anxious to see what it can do.

I am going to recommend going with the lighter bullets and run them hard. I have worked with both the 124 and 137 hammer hunter over Varget and H4895. Right now I am running the 124HH over all the Varget around 3450 and its a lazer. Thanks to your thread I am likely going to be playing with the Power Hammer, that must be new! For whitetail deer and black bears out to 300 I would run that 135 from your list well over 3200 and let not your heart be troubled with ballistic drops or pass thru. Barnes Load Data shows data 4064 in that size class bullet so it may be worth a try.

I am going to recommend searching Butterbean on this website and follow some of those procedures for loading these up. Using a Lee Factory Crimp die changed my loads from average to great.

143 Gr hunter bullets. with 24" barrel I think 3250 fps or more is achievable as I have not reached pressure signs yet. I have used r-19, h-4350 and H-4831 SC and all have been over 3150 with no pressure signs. I also have a 26" barrel 280 AI and am anxious to see what it can do.
Thanks. I'm looking forward to working up a load for my .280AI with Hammer Bullets. I have a wide variety of powders available. RL26 probably a too slow. I will try RL23 and work my way down with faster powders. Thanks