Thoughts on 178 gr eldx in 30-06

I shot an '06 for many years. My preference for elk was 180 grain bullets, and when the accubonds came out it was, IMO, the perfect bullet. Great penetration and didn't blow up. I'm still using accubonds for my normal range elk loads. Only using eldx type bullets in my long range rifles for expected shots beyond 500 yards. Thus do make excellent varmint bullets IME.

I didn't tell your grandpa he HAD to use that bullet just gave a suggestion. I've shot too many animals with this bullet to think it's not a great choice in short barrel 30-06. I've had complete pass-through on elk at 200 yards. Shot a number of black tail with perfect results. Biggest point is that they're available.
He has 6 months to figure something out.

No experience with that bullet but the Nosler Accubond LR 168 gr. works good with
most powders , can push it to 3000fps and it will drop any elk. Have used it on moose
out to 350 , opened like a Partition

Used this bullet in 30-06 Serengeti at 2900FPS on a 200# whitetail at 100yds at dusk. Terminal ballistics were identical to Motrapper above. Shed core and no exit. Found him the next morning about 80 yds away; no blood trail whatsoever. I think this bullet at this velocity might be good for shots past 250yds but would not use it again at close range particularly in heavy cover.

My grandpa finally drew his early rifle elk tag here in AZ in unit 23, it took him 25 years to draw this tag. He's really set on using his trusty 30-06 and his buddy told him he needed to use the 178 gr eldx. I'm just looking for experiences with this bullet at 30-06 velocities on big game as well as potential loads for it. The rifle is a ruger m77 with I'm guessing a 22" barrel.
I noticed the ELDX is expansion very much like the Nosler Ballistic Tip too quick .
The 180gr Nosler Part or for a good cheap bullet Speer Hot Cor 180gr SP and IMR 4350 @ 55.0
The Hornady Interlock SP old fashioned bullet performed better on game than the ELDX.

Last edited:
Ditto
Same results Here 200 grain eldx 76 grains of H1000 and at 247 yds it was a hand grenade. Deer ran 70 yds jumped into a Cedar line me thinking How could I have missed. Did find him dead in thier. When cleaning him found the Jacket with no core left intact. and No exit thats the entrance hole in the pic with the deer lying their.
Go with regular Accubonds
motrapper ,

FANTASTIC Deer !!!!!
I hate to stray away from the intention of this thread , but please post other photos of your Deer , showing his antlers from various angles .

Thank You ,
DMP25-06

Last edited:
My grandpa finally drew his early rifle elk tag here in AZ in unit 23, it took him 25 years to draw this tag. He's really set on using his trusty 30-06 and his buddy told him he needed to use the 178 gr eldx. I'm just looking for experiences with this bullet at 30-06 velocities on big game as well as potential loads for it. The rifle is a ruger m77 with I'm guessing a 22" barrel.
I've taken many elk with the 180 interlock, can't vouch for the eldx.

165-gr. Nosler Partition, 58-grains of IMR4350, at about 2800-fps.

I didn't tell your grandpa he HAD to use that bullet just gave a suggestion. I've shot too many animals with this bullet to think it's not a great choice in short barrel 30-06. I've had complete pass-through on elk at 200 yards. Shot a number of black tail with perfect results. Biggest point is that they're available.
He has 6 months to figure something out.
A misrepresentation on my part Dennis, I apologize. I just wasn't impressed with the 200gr out of my buddies 300 win mag on a coues deer last year and wanted to hear some experiences since I don't personally know you, nor did I know who the advice came from. Are you going to be going out with us in September?

A misrepresentation on my part Dennis, I apologize. I just wasn't impressed with the 200gr out of my buddies 300 win mag on a coues deer last year and wanted to hear some experiences since I don't personally know you, nor did I know who the advice came from. Are you going to be going out with us in September?

That is not a sure thing yet. Depends on if i can get out of Kodiak for that week. It's moose season. If someone else from the shop goes moose hunting i might not be able to leave. I'll know more in May when i see what everyone's plans are.

We have lots of time to try bullets.

So far I have shot 5 deer with the ELD-X out of my REM 700 and didn't have one go more than 5 yds. The buck in my profile pic was the first one I shot. He was at around 200yds and fell in his tracks. I loaded my first batch with R17 and got them around 2800fps out of a 23.5" bartlein barrel. I just loaded some the other day with IMR 4955 hoping to push them a little faster with a temperature insensitive powder. I have no experience on elk with this bullet yet but I doubt you will have any issue.

ELDX bullets expansion very much like Nosler BT kinda fast not to my liken. Accuracy good although. If they would bond the bullet they would have something. Went back to Accubonds.