Thoughts on 178 gr eldx in 30-06

Mogollon Hunter

My grandpa finally drew his early rifle elk tag here in AZ in unit 23, it took him 25 years to draw this tag. He's really set on using his trusty 30-06 and his buddy told him he needed to use the 178 gr eldx. I'm just looking for experiences with this bullet at 30-06 velocities on big game as well as potential loads for it. The rifle is a ruger m77 with I'm guessing a 22" barrel.

My 30-06 is a ultralight-- it's always my go-to for tight woods and a back up for open mountain terrain...I'd never doubt an accurate -06
I'd not doubt it either I've just heard that the eldx bullets can be somewhat explosive and that seemed to be the case for my buddy last year on a coues but it was a 200 gr out of a 300 win mag. I'm glad to hear of your positive experience with the 178 gr in the 06

I shot 2 deer with 178 gr ELD-X out of a 300 win mag last year. The whitetail in my profile picture was taken at 150 yrds & the bullet still held together well, making only a quarter size exit hole, that can be seen in the picture. My Montana mule deer was roughly 250 yrs , shot where the neck & shoulder joins, same nice quarter size exit hole with minimal damage, but dropped in his tracks of coarse. I think the bullets did there job & held together well even on the closer range whitetail at magnum velocity.

I'd not doubt it either I've just heard that the eldx bullets can be somewhat explosive and that seemed to be the case for my buddy last year on a coues but it was a 200 gr out of a 300 win mag. I'm glad to hear of your positive experience with the 178 gr in the 06
Ditto
Same results Here 200 grain eldx 76 grains of H1000 and at 247 yds it was a hand grenade. Deer ran 70 yds jumped into a Cedar line me thinking How could I have missed. Did find him dead in thier. When cleaning him found the Jacket with no core left intact. and No exit thats the entrance hole in the pic with the deer lying their.
Go with regular Accubonds

Attachments

• 7x7 down.JPG
    7x7 down.JPG
    432.6 KB · Views: 181
  • entrance.JPG
    entrance.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
I shot 2 deer with 178 gr ELD-X out of a 300 win mag last year. The whitetail in my profile picture was taken at 150 yrds & the bullet still held together well, making only a quarter size exit hole, that can be seen in the picture. My Montana mule deer was roughly 250 yrs , shot where the neck & shoulder joins, same nice quarter size exit hole with minimal damage, but dropped in his tracks of coarse. I think the bullets did there job & held together well even on the closer range whitetail at magnum velocity.

Ditto
Same results Here 200 grain eldx 76 grains of H1000 and at 247 yds it was a hand grenade. Deer ran 70 yds jumped into a Cedar line me thinking How could I have missed. Did find him dead in thier. When cleaning him found the Jacket with no core left intact. and No exit thats the entrance hole in the pic with the deer lying their.
Go with regular Accubonds
Seems like the 178s are doing right by people and the 200s not so much, my buddy spined his deer at about 300 yards and the 200 blew up on impact not even fully taking out the spine. Required another shot at about 150 yards which went into the body cavity and did not exit

My grandpa finally drew his early rifle elk tag here in AZ in unit 23, it took him 25 years to draw this tag. He's really set on using his trusty 30-06 and his buddy told him he needed to use the 178 gr eldx. I'm just looking for experiences with this bullet at 30-06 velocities on big game as well as potential loads for it. The rifle is a ruger m77 with I'm guessing a 22" barrel.
Best accuracy in my Tikka 30-06 sporter with the 178 grain Hornady BTHP is with 55.2 grains of R-17

Pretty tough to beat the old Sierra Spitzer boat tail in either a 165 or 180 grain... It's not new "fandangled" but they haven't changed it in (???) never maybe.. Must work pretty well. Good luck with your choices though.. It is great to have so many options available in general.

Last edited:
I stopped using them. 30,06 2750fps 178 eldx hit a muley at 220yds and it turned into a grenade. Bullet hit the edge of the shoulder blade, completely shed the jacket, and made it to one lung. Had to shoot the deer again in the neck to finish it. That bullet broke the neck but didn't exit. Then the gun hit a doe whitetail at 40 yds behind the shoulder. Bullet exited but fragmented badly, and pieces went thru diaphragm into the guts, and damaged back straps. Work great on coyotes.

How far will the hunting ranges be and how far does your Grandfather usually shoot at? What shots does your Grandfather usually do? Shoulder or lung shots.