Need a good hunting bullet for 30 06

The older Ballistic Tips were very explosive.I quit using them for a lot of years.They have been redesigned and hold together really well.the jacket on the newer ones is quite thick.

When I get back to reloading 30-06, I'll be going to 165gr. bullets. Better knockdown power at ranges. I use most major bullet companies; Speer, Hornady, Sierra & Nosler

The newer Ballistic Tips are built like the Accubond.Wound channels are similar too.
bt acc.jpg
bt cross.jpg

My go to big game boolit is the 180 or 190gr Speer semi pointed G.

Yes I know that there not the top BC thing out there,,, a bit pricey for bonded,,, what they lack in those areas they make up for with the """W""" in Wack. LOL

Yet I load heavy for Deer, Elk and Moose along with Black Bears,,, more to do with the game I go after an the critters I encounter.

If I was a flat plains hunter for deer and antelope,,, I'd head to the Frugal Hornady 150 Interlock boolitz...

Bulgee front nose boolitz have been working for me over the years,,, pretty hard to give up on things that work.

Good luck as you'll find the magic pill that will get things done,,, that's what really counts.

At 100yds to 200yds, I don't think it really matters what 150 grain expanding bullet you use. The point of the matter is shot placement. Of course the more shock wave you have, the better kill you get. When you mess up and miss a little. But any bullet that is expanding at this range will work, as long as it's accurate and your a decent shot. I put my money on Barnes, Nosler, Sierra, and then Mabe Speer or Remington Core-Lokts. They will all get the job done if put in the proper place. Even the cheapo Core- Lokt... Just shoot, what shoots good in your gun. And be happy! Reload some of each. Test them in ballistics gel and see which one of them makes the largest wound channels. For me I prefer Barnes first second Nosler and then Sierra Game Kings if I'm going to use lead bullets and not copper. I really like Nosler ballistic tip bullets as well. I have shot Hornady too. My first preference is for my animal to hit the dirt right where, or a few feet of where I shot them. Quick clean kills, inflicting as much damage as possible without ruining a bunch of meat. That is why I choose Barnes bullets. You don't have lead fragments going all over the place causing blood shot meat. I like to eat my animals. So having blood shot meat is not something that I like to see from my bullets. Barnes are more like a broad head cutting its way through. They also create.huge wound channels, and have good penetration.

Most people here are not Woods Hunters. Sounds like you need a good Slug Gun or Muzzle Loader. One of the things I didn't sign up for is advice from a Woods Hunter pertaining to LR Hunting. I personally know of no reloaders that "blame the gun", unless they can get NOTHING to shoot well through it. I know plenty of Factory Fodder shooters that do though. Think before you type.

LOL...noted! Did not mean to offend, and FYI between military sniper quals/combat experience and hunting experience I AM something more than a woods hunter...or maybe successful 600+ yard shots on western game animals don't count in your tally? So perhaps, YOU should think before you go out of your way to insinuate that someone else you have never met knows nothing?

Anyway, I have run into a couple of individuals who were "new to the art of handloading" (being polite here) and their lack of experience prompted them to do things that an experienced handloader would not do. Results were predictable. I'm happy for you that you've never run into someone like this!

Suffice it to say that hunting different big game species in several different states, areas of the country and environments ranging from thick swamps to the wide open plains has given me an appreciation of the different requirements for both equipment and tactics that these diverse experiences require. Perhaps your experiences are different?

Now, I have no idea why you've signed up to follow this blog, but trust me when I say that I won't lose sleep over your opinions. Hope you're not losing any over mine! Feel free to ignore my contributions as you see fit!

And please enjoy your freedom of speech, which military veterans like myself willingly sacrificed to protect! Maybe even say a prayer of thanks for those who "gave all" in defense of YOUR freedom? I do this every day, since I'm the guy who made it home in one piece when friends did not. I'd give A LOT for just one more chance to hunt with them anywhere!

So what do you think of my typing now?

One of the things I didn't sign up for is advice from a Woods Hunter pertaining to LR Hunting.
Whoah heat, no need to boil over. The OP did say 200 yards or under so we are, for this thread, talking "woods hunting" ranges, certainly not "Long Range".

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.