Need a good hunting bullet for 30 06

At 200 yards, Mabe a round nosed bullet because of the energy that comes from a broader frontal nose area. Which makes them hit harder.

I worked in the taxidermy trade from 1965 to 1970. Worked as a wildlife officer from 1971 to 2006. I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from whitetail deer and black bear. Seen more perfect mushrooms of Remington 180 Gr. Cor-Lock RN 30 cal. bullets than any other bullet. The cannular on the bullet acts like a hinge. Bullet opens to 2 diameters and then penetrates deep and deadly. Seems when the Core Lock bullet was developed. It was designed for 30-06 velocity of the time, And matches bullet performance to velocity.

Whoah heat, no need to boil over. The OP did say 200 yards or under so we are, for this thread, talking "woods hunting" ranges, certainly not "Long Range".

Thanks 73Driver... yeah, think we got it...no harm no foul. At least not on my end of the spectrum!

Lots of other things in life to worry about...guess everyone has a bad day now and then! And as they said in the USMC - "Opinions are like A-holes...everyone has one, and they all stink!" Not the first time someone disagreed with mine!

I worked in the taxidermy trade from 1965 to 1970. Worked as a wildlife officer from 1971 to 2006. I have seen hundreds of bullets recovered from whitetail deer and black bear. Seen more perfect mushrooms of Remington 180 Gr. Cor-Lock RN 30 cal. bullets than any other bullet. The cannular on the bullet acts like a hinge. Bullet opens to 2 diameters and then penetrates deep and deadly. Seems when the Core Lock bullet was developed. It was designed for 30-06 velocity of the time, And matches bullet performance to velocity.

Agreed - The Cor-lokt pills work, and especially true with standard cal velocities. I grew up using them almost exclusively, shooting a 30-06 from the time I was 14. Never had a deer go far unless the loose nut behind the trigger failed to perform it's duties properly! Pretty good at reasonable distances, and I've seen game taken at some fairly respectable distances too...so no worries out to 200. My thought would be that if one is handloading with the intent of expanding their effective range, there are somewhat more accurate choices that won't break the bank.

At 200 yards, Mabe a round nosed bullet because of the energy that comes from a broader frontal nose area. Which makes them hit harder.
True enough! Not really more energy per se but the blunts do a fine job of delivering it to the critter in such a manner that the target absorbs a lot of it - think about heavy bullets designed for dangerous game. The rapid expansion associated with most standard round- and flat-nosed bullets means pretty impressive wound channels and therefore (hopefully) quick & effective kills. The only drawback is that these pills do tend to limit the options for longer shots, as their BCs result in rapid loss of velocity and energy. Kind of like using a shotgun with slugs on a deer drive in thick cover - not great when you reach the open field at the end of the cover, but devastatingly effective when you know your shots will be have to be a quick response at close range.
My apologies to the long-range-only readers here...but as I mentioned in an earlier post, experience teaches lots of different lessons!

Well there is going to be a lot of advice on a gun that been around since 1906. At end of the day find one that shoots good out to the distance u want to shoot and go with it.
Now with that being said I've hunted with an 06 for 40 years and the amount of whitetails I've killed with it is well ALOT. My 06 is my meat and potatoes gun. (Not my long range gun) I mainly use it for hunting less than 350 yard with the loads I run and optics. Now with that being said I've reloaded for 30 years and tried a lot of bullets so here is my load that has worked for at least 8 different O6. Friends and family. Again all of the loads will kill a deer. So, a
Plain Jane 180 Hornady interlock with h4350 pushing the bullet. Push it around 2850fps. Poor mans nosler partion I call them. They mushroom out really good and have enough weight to drive though them end to end. But nothing beats experience, just shoot em until u find something your gun like. Mine holds 3/4-1 Moa out farther than I can shoot.

Loading for a hunting buddy. Rem 700, 30 06, 24 inch barrel 1:10. Most shots will be 200 yds and under on deer. I'm thinking something in the 165 range that won't break the bank. He's a good shot so DRT would be nice. Not going to go with Bergers. I'de like an exit .I have on hand 180g Barnes TSX and maybe Sierra GK hollow points. Was never happy with Game Kings close in. Looked like they were shot with an ice pick. Mostly want to see them print well at 100yds. Powders i'm flexible on. Remember this isn't your custom rifle. ;)
Under 200 on deer? Almost any old cup and core will work. The SST is economical and I've had 100% success with it. A Remington core lokt, speer hot core, they're all proven and shoot well. The SST has been amazingly accurate for me. The game king has been a disappointment for me. It usually destroys a front shoulder. No sense in spending 30 or 40+ bucks on a box of bullets that are over engineered for a simple job. I have used the Hornady 130 grain bullet a lot in 30-06. I think its number 2030 or 1230...something ending in 30. It shoots well and I've shot probably upwards of 200 hogs with it out of a decently sporterized 1903.

I did make some good shots with my Mossberg ATR 100 with Balisticsilvertip 168gr factory loaded to 360 m range to a fox
, 475 meters to a hog

20161215_084346.jpg

Attachments

• 20170127_171639.jpg
    20170127_171639.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
Also i did make a very long shot to a bear ( 588 m ) with Blaser R93 , with balistictip 165 gr handload ( 48.5gr vv n140 ) , and a crow to 280 m

Attachments

• 20170626_211937.jpg
    20170626_211937.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.